Register free!

Old 07-30-2001, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Too much fert

My partner and I had a customer that bought his own fert and wanted me to apply it. He has only 6,000 sf2 and wanted me to put down two 50 lb bags. We refused to do it and lost the account for that and other things.

I would like to know other then a crazy growth spurt, what negitive impacts would occur by putting down all that fert at one time?
Old 07-30-2001, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could burn the lawn,especially in stressfull times,,and where you turn araound or anywher there is an overlap.Either way its a tremdous amouint of stress on the grass,and you might end up with run=off.Was this SRN?
Old 07-30-2001, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what kind of fert it was. Since we dropped him we never paid any attention to the fert. We just cut his turf for the last time and got our money and left.

i would hate to have to cut his turf after 100 lbs of fert put down on it. He has a irrigation system and I bet he would water the fool out it and the turf would be six inches high. This customer did not want to hear about fert formulation. I tried to explain to him our process for applying fert at the recommened rate. He thinks if a little is good than a lot is better. He will have to find another company to apply that much fert.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Overfertilizing turfgrass thins the cell walls of the plants leaving them weak and less tolerant to disease and insect damage.
BUT, if a lawn is weak and thin, I can get good results by applying a fert like 20-10-10. I would use it at 8 lbs/1000 square feet (that is about 1 -50 lb bag). But I would only do this ONCE and during a time when rainfall is adequate. I've pulled many ugly lawns out of a slump.