Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco HPS Spreader Questions

Thinking about purchasing one of these units and I am wondering how well they hold up. From what I can see the ride on part in just painted but i figure it would be ok if it is kept clean.

I know they have had some cable problems in the past is this fixed now?

How hard are they to steer when full?

If you own one now and had it to do over again would you still buy it of choose something else?

I have never bought any equipment form Lesco will they negotiate on the price?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 hps units. A 2004 model & a 2005. Both have been good machines. One bad head gasket & one bad rear axle seal, both repaired under warranty. Corrosion has not been a big issue, i wash down with water after each use and coat all painted surfaces with liquid wrench. I have had no cable problems. The machine is not hard to steer when full. I weigh 175 lbs, a full tank of fuel last me 1.5 hours @ application speed. The hps can go into/onto terrain that a z spray or PG could never handle. I think they could improve the hand controls (cruise control) and the kawasaki does not like water. Overall im very pleased with the hps, its an easy machine to service and repair and is holding up well.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 2 HPS machines this year not sure how I managed without them. This the 1st season with them if I have to buy 2 a season I will do so from here on out. I will tell you to calabrate them at all speeds the slow speed will take you forever to treat. I spent a day to get my calabrations. So far the only product is Lesco 20-0-20. All is working great.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

i bought one in 2004 and it has been a pretty good machine. the only problem i have had is the idler pulley for the belt froze up. about $40 for the part and lesco's typical 2 weeks to get it. the one thing i really dont like is the throttle handle. hand gets really sore if using on my 15 acre property. really easy to turn with a full hopper. just bout a pg magnum and can't wait to use it to see how they compare.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

i bought 1 this year & love it. It takes the work out of spreading fert
Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I went and bought one today. It actually looks better in person than the pictures I saw. For half the price of a permagreen I decided it was the best choice. Time to put it to work next week and see how it does.

Thanks for the advice
Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qball98 View Post
Well I went and bought one today. It actually looks better in person than the pictures I saw. For half the price of a permagreen I decided it was the best choice. Time to put it to work next week and see how it does.

Thanks for the advice
Don't want to burst your bubble but it's half the price because it only is half as useful. It doesn't spray weeds so it's limited to throwing fert or lime. Now if you have to walk the property all over again with a backpack or dragging a hose, exactly how much have you saved?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawndr View Post
Don't want to burst your bubble but it's half the price because it only is half as useful. It doesn't spray weeds so it's limited to throwing fert or lime. Now if you have to walk the property all over again with a backpack or dragging a hose, exactly how much have you saved?
Very true, but using one of these http://www.gregsonclark.com/spreadermate.html
you still don't have to walk or pull a hose. Problem is you just can't do both at the same time as the perma green. But most of my lawns don't need a broadcast of herbicide just some spot spraying. I myself only do fert and squirt on lawns I mow and take on nothing more. So for me the HPS would be the better machine (I only go through 160 bags of fert per application) If I did more the perma green or z spray would be the way to go.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Very true, but using one of these http://www.gregsonclark.com/spreadermate.html
you still don't have to walk or pull a hose. Problem is you just can't do both at the same time as the perma green. But most of my lawns don't need a broadcast of herbicide just some spot spraying. I myself only do fert and squirt on lawns I mow and take on nothing more. So for me the HPS would be the better machine (I only go through 160 bags of fert per application) If I did more the perma green or z spray would be the way to go.
True enough - if you're not a serious weed and feed guy, then you can get by with the HPS or similar. My only point was that if you do this full time, use full time equipment. And it doesn't matter if you spot spray or blanket spray a lawn, you still have to walk the whole lawn to do it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The hps will make you more productive which means more $$$ with more $$$ better equip(zspray) that will leave hps as a back up