Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Tips for Success in Sealcoating

I started asphalt sealing many many years ago in high school. My first truck was a three hundred dollar beater that I could put a couple of buckets and a squeegee and seal a few driveways in a day. With hard work I have built a sealing business that works from sun up to sun down seven days a week in the sealing season. Here are a few tips that have given me an edge over my competitors through the years. First of all, provide your customers with the best materials available on the market in your area. This includes Federal Specification concentrate,sand and additives. Add the proper formula, do not dilute your sealer by adding too much water. Secondly, be neat, weed wack, power blow and edge around retaining walls and close to the garage door. If a customer wanted sealer on his door or wall, he would not have called you, he could have done that himself. Leave the job site the looking professional. This means clean up any garbage that your workers have left around. Tie a strong caution tape barrier in front of the driveway and ask the homeowner if it would be ok to leave an advertisement sign next to the driveway. After the job, always thank the customer for choosing your service. Address any questions or concerns about the job when you are there. If the customer is happy, politely hint that a referral would greatly appreciated. I could go on and on but last of all, always project yourself as a professional. When you are providing an estimate you are providing the best sealing application on the market. There will always be guys who can undercut you with price but once you get a reputation for offering professional workmanship the phone will not stop ringing.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Right now I'd be happy if the phone rang and it was the wrong number.....
Old 05-21-2007, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

you have to advertise. pennysavers, newspaper, signs, flyers, commericial on tv/radio. word of mouth. phone book, postcards. I do all of that and I get between 8-12 jobs everyday......... good luck
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile

I could not agree with EWS more. If you have down time start handing out fliers. Put your signs around busy roads and start knocking on commercial business doors. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I put a business card size ad in our local paper, same size ad in a gated community's monthly newsletter, a 4ft X 8ft. sign on our little league outfield fence, and not one phone call. This year's phonebooks are already published, so no good for now. I'd like to place flyers in everyones' newspaper box or doorstep (I know the mailbox is illegal), but I'm not sure if that's considered soliciting or not. All my ads, business cards, and magnetic signs on my truck look very professional, but I'm competing against a couple of very well established sealcoaters/pavers in my area. I think I just need a few jobs and get their neighbors and so on.....and let that "word of mouth" advertising get rolling.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

once again i,m very new here and it is not my intention to offend anyone,the guy couldnt be more right about a clean looking job,best materials ect...as for clients...try knocking on a few doors...look closely before going up there...it doesnt have to be a wealthy area,or anything like that...but notice how well they take care of everything...if they dont have a nice lawn,or need paint n shutters ect...then odds are you are waisting your time...also if you have a few bucks...buy a few measuring sticks,and hire a few collage kids as estimators....a few fliers for them to hand out you can print,you can also pay them by the foot...1-2 cents a foot should be fine...works for me...but nothing beats getting out n getting your jobs....
Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

My work has gotten very high compliments, and I do use the best materials around, it's that "salesman" ability that I lack. I have 4 jobs for Thursday, then it seems I starve for a couple weeks 'till another few come up. I think I've had more people ask if I do paving than anything. Maybe I bought the wrong equipment.........
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

when you are out there thursday knock on the neigbors doors Im sure you will get at least 3-5 more jobs. also what gypsie said is good, hire a few people to leave door hangers, pay them 10-20 bucks every driveway they get you I have a kid that does it for me and he usually gets 10-15 driveways a wk for me... usually residential work wont get really busy up north til around July, august, till labor day... so if you advertise you will get jobs trust me... leave your business cards at local restraunts, bulletin boards and grocery stores.. 1 job always leads to another, good luck
Old 06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditto.....

www.clbutlerpaving.com

Asphalt Paving.
Tree & Lawn services.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

smile..be friendly...give them a lil education...and relax...if they didnt need to see you you shoudnt be knocking