Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best lawn vac?

I'm not impressed with Billy Goat and they are on the higher end. I was thinking about the Little Wonder. It looks pretty well built and I like my Little Wonder lawn edger.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn vac? Are you speaking in reference to those useless things you walk behind that are supposed to be so time efficient in vacuuming up leaves and debris? The same thing that a mower with a bag does better? There have been so many people on here with them, that end up just wanting to sell them because of so little use. About the only thing they are good for is cleaning up around buildings and such where debris gathers. I know several people around here who have had them, and they confirmed exactly what I speculated a long time ago....that the were a waste of money and time. Just doesn't fit into our operation.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Lawn vac? Are you speaking in reference to those useless things you walk behind that are supposed to be so time efficient in vacuuming up leaves and debris? The same thing that a mower with a bag does better? There have been so many people on here with them, that end up just wanting to sell them because of so little use. About the only thing they are good for is cleaning up around buildings and such where debris gathers. I know several people around here who have had them, and they confirmed exactly what I speculated a long time ago....that the were a waste of money and time. Just doesn't fit into our operation.

Yea, I took the advice of other members on this Forum and invested in a triple-bagger attachment for my Ferris. I read too many posts on here where folks complained that the vacs where not worth the money or time. I haven't used my new Ferris bagger yet, but I will let you know how it works out.
http://www.NELawnCare.com

2007 Ferris 1500Z 25HP 52" Zero Turn
2007 Ferris 36" Hydro Walk-Behind
Toro 21" Push
Ferris 3-Bag Fast Vac
Echo PB-620 Blowers
Red Max Trimmers
Cen-Tex 12"x6" Trailer
NorthStar Pressure Washer Trailer
BOSS Snow Plow
2006 F150 4x4
Old 04-16-2007, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
I'm not impressed with Billy Goat and they are on the higher end. I was thinking about the Little Wonder. It looks pretty well built and I like my Little Wonder lawn edger.
These vacuums are a specialty item. I've got the Billy goat VQ, the wide area unit. It has lots of power, and with the velky I got, you get around at 5mph with no worries. It picks up gravel though I wouldn't use for that alone.

We do college size projects and take care of entrances with cigarette butts, etc... and this VQ is a welcome addition to our arsenal. Don't forget, it's a specialty item and will be used for very specific jobs. Also, the way we service the campus, you need many specialty machines and you can do it by the higher pay they give you. My contact at the college gives me projects just to help in us buying new equipment. He's grooming us to service him more... hehe.. so the Billy goat is nice to have.

If you tell me what you need it for, I'll tell you if it will do it. For sure, the VQ won't replace the 8 pull behind sweepers we use to pick up tatch, leaves and grooming lawn. It's an add on type of machine.

btw, the little wonder has good suction as well, and is much cheaper, but not very good for us. No velky, not heavy duty, front is not easily adjusted for big bulky items etc...

Last edited by DuraCutter; 04-16-2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: too much wine 8-)