Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

license in pa ?

I am starting a new business for general lawn care. What licenses do I need. I want to get a bank account open, write of equipment mileage, ect. And I was told I would need a license for all of that?
Thanks
Carl
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need a sales tax license, and fiticious names permit too. If you have employees, you need a withhold tax license as well. You'll have to check with your local municipality if you need anything to operate locally.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Howdy,

I'm in PA too. I've been looking everywhere for what licenses I need for this state--it varies from state to state. What you need is a sales tax number or EIN #. You can apply for this online. You will need business insurance. If you plan to apply fertilizer or herbacides, you will need to take a test and get a license from Dept. of Agriculture--check their website. I'm sorta lucky in that my father-in-law is an accountant...wouldn't hurt to meet with one.

I didn't apply for a fictious name permit...I think basically that someone who has the same name and had it first could make you change yours...I'm not really worried about it at this point..but if you are going to go big, you may want to look into it, because if you had to change your business name, you could potentially lose some clients with all the confusion of changing your name.

The only landscape license that I saw is if you are a landscape architect for this state..as a general lawncare or landscaper, not really needed.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrex View Post
Howdy,

I didn't apply for a fictious name permit...I think basically that someone who has the same name and had it first could make you change yours...I'm not really worried about it at this point..but if you are going to go big, you may want to look into it, because if you had to change your business name, you could potentially lose some clients with all the confusion of changing your name.
DBA- doing business as.
get one.
http://www.businessnameusa.com/dba/s...nnsylvania.htm
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks MajorTom. I've done alot of web browsing but sometimes its hard to know what to look for. Some books I read implied that it wasn't all that important to get and my accountant said not to worry about it.
*boggle*
Thanks for the link.