Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Speed Zone And Z Spray Question???

How Much Speed Zone Do You Put In Your 20 Gallon Tank? I Have The Purple Nozzles. I Was Told 79 Ounces For 20 Gallons Or 3.9 Ounces Per Gallon. Is This Right??
Old 04-17-2007, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to calibrate YOUR sprayer, first. Not go by what the instruction book says it can spray per gallon or tankful, but what it ACTUALLY sprays. Then, you can figure up your amounts proportionately. Hint: It is NOT done by the "tank" or by the "gallon".

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Understanding how to calibrate your own equipment is the premier step to understanding how to make correct, legal, and certainly effective applications to your customers' lawns. If you don't know how to calibrate a piece of equipment, there is a manual that comes with every piece of equipment. If it was purchased used there is the internet and pdf files. It should be read cover to cover several times. It is written on about the same or lower middle school grade level as the Reader's Digest. Without understanding the fundamentals of clibration, getting the correct AI down is impossible. If you have to come here to learn calibration, IMO you shouldn't own the equipment in the first place.

The best advice that could be given was. Learn how to calibrate your own equipment. As the saying goes, "Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would I be completely wrong in putting a gallon of water in the sprayer and see how far it goes with a given ground speed to attempt calibration. Then measure how much area was covered. That would give me how much area for a gallon of water and then go from there? Maybe run the test 5 times to ensure that pump voltage/pressure is not changing and afffecting the rate.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly how you should calibrate. Put in a gallon. Travel at your desired application speed and pressure. Measure how wide your spray swath is by how many feet you traveled before the gallon was emptied and you have your square footage per gallon. Simple math after that.