Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Coal Tar Cleaner

Does anyone have any solutions for taking coal tar off a door or a structure. Looking for a product that cleans coal tar but does not remove paint in the process. Every new customer I seal that has sealed his driveway himself in the past, always seems to have about a half a gallon on his garage door and wants to know how to remove it.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

The best thing I have come up with is Skin So Soft and a green scubby. Works OK but not perfect. It works great on fresh sealer though, and even took it off my wifes kitchen floor.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

diesel fuel or kerosene.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, I will give them both a try.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

dont ever use kerosene or gas, or diesel. they will yellow whatever u use it on. masterflo is the best product to use. the above poster who said gas or kerosene should stick to mowing lawns. very un professional and Im sure the customer would appreciate the smell of diesel fuel
Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Who manufactures masterflo. Does it work without removing the paint?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

sealmaster sells it. it doesnt touch the paint, I have used this stuff to take paint off concrete, my truck, my hands, garage doors, my spray tips, my door panels inside my truck, this stuff soes not ruin anything...
Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWS View Post
dont ever use kerosene or gas, or diesel. they will yellow whatever u use it on. masterflo is the best product to use. the above poster who said gas or kerosene should stick to mowing lawns. very un professional and Im sure the customer would appreciate the smell of diesel fuel
Don't know where you get off, but I've used kerosene for YEARS without any discoloring of anything whatsoever. I'm willing to bet that many OTC cleaners have a kerosene base to them.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill

Last edited by Grassmechanic; 04-20-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have sealed over 5000 commercial and residential properties, I have used all sorts of cleaners on all sorts of items.and the only product I have used that does not discolor is masterflo. thats where I get off, kerosene will work sometimes but you ahve to be carful bc it may discolor certain items, diesel fuel almost almost always yellowss same as gas. most cleaners are oil based and haver petroleum products. all im saying is masterflo is a product professionals use to clean coat tar and ae up. laquer works to but sometimes removes paint. Im not sure how many properties you sealed so im sorry if i offended you but there has been quite a bit of landscapers in my neck of the woods trying to become sealcoaters and have no clue and offer inferior jobs.