Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

ZTR Sprayer - finished with pics!

Greetings all!

I inquired a few months back about using a backpack sprayer to treat my sedge problem in this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=homecutter but based on everyone’s advice I opted to make a ZTR style sprayer. I said I would post some pics of my progress so here they are. I bought a Northerntool 15 Gallon ATV sprayer and fabricated some tank mounts and a boom out of 1/2 sh40 pvc. The nozzles are threaded 90° micro nozzles from Home Depot and run $2.80 for a 10 pack. I drilled and tapped 9 holes 8" apart are on the boom. The sprays overlap each other for even coverage. I made sure the flow rates were calibrated by filling glasses. Except for two, the nozzle flows were identical out of the pack. The boom is activated by pressing the wand trigger with my foot. The Sureflow 800 series pump will empty the tank in 11 minutes and 30 seconds. Now I just need to figure the correct ground speed based on my lawn size to ensure I deplete the entire tank evenly. Spraying Manage this weekend if all goes well.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

More Pictures

Some more pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ingenious ... nice job !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like it should work pretty good! the only thing I would be afraid of with the PVC pipe is bumping something and cracking it while your spraying. that would be bad!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really nice job. Let us know how the foeld test goes.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

That's really cool, but I was wondering while looking at the pics...wouldn't it be better to have the nozzles in the rear so you wouldn't be riding over the sprayed turf? I don't spray, so I could be way off base here. This may also change your foot control, but probably not. The other concern I would have is having the spray "blow"/ drift back on the operator as your driving into it. Again, JMO.

On the flip side, I'm sure it's much easier to get into tight spots and you can get a good visual on were you are spraying.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ztr sprayer

Amazing Orlando,
I hope it works out well. May I suggest...a filter to reduce the chance of clogging the nozzles. Maybe a pressure regulator and guage, if you don't already have one on the pump. Is that a 1 gal per min Flo-jet electric pump? You may find the a lower pressure drifts less, and allows you to go farther on a tank of fluid. Also, for least drift, the nozzles should be slanted back. Short pants --not suitable.

In any event--it is a work of art. Can't wait to hear results.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice job! It's about time we see improvements on a local level.
I think the reason you put the boom in front is to make it more clear so as to see where/what you're spraying herbicide on.

Also....it looks to me that you're getting enough spray to cover the weeds.

I was at my LESCO dealer yesterday....they told me that the PG units still have difficulties killing small-leafed weeds/also no weed control along curbs.
Magnums, Ultras, it didn't matter.

Your machine most closely resembles LESCO's Z-two sprayer/spreader. Our's kicks ass on weeds and spreads too. So I'm sure you will have great results with your new unit. I'm sure you will get that ground speed figured out very quickly, plus you will be able to "put in on heavy" for weedy lawns.

Way to go....it also provides me with ideas I can use. Thanks for the great pics! How much are you selling them for??? (LOL)

Thanks again, american
Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great feedback guys! I appreciate it!

Any ideas on using a dye or food coloring to mark where I've sprayed?

You guys had some good points- some of which I did not consider. I think I got lucky with the way the boom turned out. I tried a single broadcast nozzle in my first design but it was useless because it sprayed 80% of the liquid on the outer edges of the stream leaving the center area almost dry. I would not recommend this product, it sucks period: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6933_200326933.

Desii - I did not consider the issue of riding over the sprayed turf. Nice observation on your part! I'm not sure my tires will adversely impact the sprayed turf. I'll have to think about that one. As you and others commented, my main concern was being able to see the boom to know when to start-stop the spray and to be able to maneuver around trees, shrubs and my house. As far as drift or backspray goes, I plan to spray on a calm day in the morning. In my test runs there was almost zero backspray. The nozzle droplets are good size (not too misty). I'm considering lowering the boom to a point where the streams just overlap each other at the mid points. As it stands, they cross well past the midpoints. Lowering the boom will reduce air time and should reduce drift. The nozzles shoot forward a little for my visibility. Notice the distance from my front tires to the wet line on my driveway- its about 16 inches. I will be wearing PPE for sure.

Riggle - I mixed a scoop of Manage in a 1/2 full water bottle just to see how homogeneous it became. It looked like light gray milk. Based on this I don't thing it will clog the nozzles but I will certainly keep an eye on them -good point. I have extras and can change them out in a snap. As far as a regulator goes I did not use one. I might however add a hose bib gage to one end of the boom just for kicks since I have a few lying around. The pump is a Sureflow 8000 series which does 1.8 GPM (max). I achieved approx 1.3 GPM through the nozzles (15 gallons in 11.5 minutes). At this point I'm satisfied with the pressure vs drift. I can see your point about lower pressure = less drift, this makes sense. I don't think I'll slant the nozzles back but I might lower the boom as stated above. NO shorts indeed!

Americanlawn - you can have the plans! 1/2 PVC and micro nozzles from good ole' Home Depot, CHEAP CHEAP!! Although, your fellow pros might snicker when they see you

I'm looking forward to some DEAD sedge! I'll post some browning pics in the future.

Robert
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Brand Z mower is that... Because mine is almost exactly like yours..

6 Years on Lawnsite