Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Plant pricing

I am new to the landscaping side of the business and was told by different people to double the cost of the plants to bid the job.

Ex. $9.95 for 5 gallon shrubs would be $19.99

I am from Texas and wanted to know how bid planting plants. Is there a base price for each size (3, 5, or 15 gallon) and what % do you mark up the items.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like you are paying retail for your plant prices, aroung here its 2 to 3x's your wholesale price. Depends on what type of bid it is homeowner vs commercial.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't at least double the cost of plants and add at least 38% - you are a "hobby" and not even near being a real "business".

regards
Are you sure you are charging enough to incl. eqpt.maint./rental/lease/replacement, ins., licens'g, marktg., mat'ls., payroll, legal, permits, postage, customer retention, safety eqpt., taxes, telephony and uniformed work clothes into what you do everyday to last you the next 10 years ?
Ted Nugent: "God, Guns and Rock & Roll"; "The 5 Boxes of Freedom": Soap, Ballot, Witness, Jury, Cartridges Citizens, Jurors, Voters, Volunteers.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

there is no formula. You should always bid out a job on an individual basis. That said we use 300% wholesale as a check to see if we are high or low.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you

We are buying plants at wholesale. Thank you for your feedback.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge 2-3x the cost.

When planting...what do you all charge per hour
or per plant?

"There are things that go bump in the night. We're the ones who bump back."

(2) 61" Scag "walk" behinds
various line trimmers, edger stick, backpack blowers,
hedge trimmers, wheel blower, chain saw, etc
2001 Ram 1500 Standard (pulls the trailer)
1990 Ramcharger (stump puller)
2001 Ram 1500 Quadcab (estimates, mulch & planting jobs)
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

SOMM

This is the second post today where you have slammed someone for asking a pricing question? What's up with that?

For the original post...I charge retail price per plant (if you are getting wholesale prices) then add 1/2 cost for labor + little for p/u and delivery.

$20 plant wholesale = $25 retail + $12.50 install + your delivery fee
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Garden Center is 20% Off Retail for plants here. Rip!! Guess where I get my plants? Direct from the Nursery. My turn to make 200%. $5.95 1 Gal(Garden Center) is $1.70 from the nursery.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know that I am a "hobbyist" - so , if I buy a $500 tree ,which I do from time to time , I must charge the client (500 plus 500 times.38 ......) $1380 or turn in my business license ? Or if I buy a one dollar plant , I can stiff them for $2.72 -if I were planting one , which I do from time to time , I would reap a return of $1.72 ........ the issue of upcharging plants would imo in the purest sense be to cover a guarantee if the plants would die - you can't factor an upcharge as a way to insure profit since the number would fluctuate wildly based on the number and price of the plants . Although I didn't like his comment somm is dead on in terms of how you have to approach costing - you got to know how much it costs you to run your business . Then the question becomes " how much do I need to charge on this job based on how long it will take and how much will it cost me to do it , upcharged by the amount of profit that I wish to make. Having said all that , I would rarely go less than 100 percent mark up unless it was a very high volume / easy install. I live in an area where I can plant in red clay , white clay, rocky soil, sandy soil , or black loam - that is going to be a major determinant in plant costing since one site can take ten times longer than another while my plant cost is identical. Sorry for the novel ....
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The formula for 2x or 3x the retail price of the plants is a general guideline only.
It includes picking out and p/up and delivery of the plant and the actual planting as well. So using the one dollar plant example above, if you drive to the nursery, pick up a plant for 1.00 and then deliver it to the job..and you charge them $3.00 and only make 2.00 on the plant...well no you are not stiffing your customer you are stiffing yourself.
That measly $2.00 covers your time, gas, wear and tear on your vehicle ect AND labor for planting the plant as well. This is not a wise way to price your jobs.
If you have to drive 45 min total from your home to the nursery to the job to deliver the plants, you need to charge more than if it was a 10 min drive. If the access sucks and you are planting in hard pan or heavy clay, you need to charge more than planting in nice soft loam.
So price your labor for planting seperate.

The way these guys do it IS a basic common practice of charging 2x or 3x retail or more.
I add 20% to retail plus I get 20% off on them so I charge 40% over retail.
PLUS my labor for planting + delivery.