Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2000, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

i was just wondering if each spring you always assume that the yard you did the year before is yours or do you send out a letter or call?and if it is a letter could you please tell me maybe what you might say in it.<p>thankyou scott
Old 03-07-2000, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We sign a new contract each year. We mail them out 2-3 months before the start of the season.<p>About a month after they're out, anyone whom I haven't heard from gets a call to check in and get signed.
Old 03-07-2000, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I send each customer a short letter with my services listed on the bottom half and ask them to check off what they want and return for my records. Cheap and easy but I still have to call some because they forget.
Old 03-07-2000, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you guys think of sending a letter saying that you &quot;assume&quot; they will continue this season with the same services as the previous year. This is what I plan on doing. I will also include a listing of some other services that we have and I'll urge them to call if these services are needed. What do you guys think of this idea?<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 03-07-2000, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure. Passive acceptance might be too presumptuous. You may end up performing services that the customer will later say 'I never asked for that this year'. You'll say 'see, it's right here in the contract'. Some will say 'Oh, Okay.' Others will say 'Good luck collecting from me.' I would think the latter will be especially true for any years that you raise prices. <p>It'd sort of be like those record club deals. Unless you send back notice saying you don't want an item, you've bought it.<p>Your way sounds much more efficient, but I'd be afraid of what the efficiency would cost you later.
Old 03-08-2000, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I do what miller is suggesting with my snow removal accounts,and it puts the onus on the customer if they want to bail.I intend to send new contracts with specific prices for services offered.I dont want problems like stonehenge is talking about.
Old 03-08-2000, 04:22 PM

Most of my customers start calling me in march. But I call a few and tell them we still on this year.I had a full day today already. Wahoo!!! Well 4:00 anyway. Thats a good start.
Old 03-08-2000, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Never assume last year contracts will be this years contracts.<p>Our experience sending letters informing customers that we will continue their service... Lots of work with people saying they never authorized it, and then not paying for it. We even stated in our letter to call us if they did not want our service.<p>Send a letter to reinstate services, then for those who haven't responded, make a personal call.<p>----------<br>Blake<br>www.fertalawn.com