Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2001, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use an extended cargo van and fit all my equipment in it including my 44" Lazer. Everyone is amazed that the Lazer fits in the van, but it does just fine. I have to hunch down a bit to clear the top, but that's not too difficult at all. In fact, I am positive you could even fit a 48" Lazer in there if you wanted too. But I'm not too sure about a 52", but it doesn't seem totally impossible.......over all, I love driving the van and using it as my work truck. I like it even better than a truck and trailer!
Echo PB-603
Echo PE-3100
Old 08-09-2001, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo
tiny-arsed mini cargo van holds my 2 cycles, tools, parts, gas, tarps and boxes for any debris, emergency urinal, other suprises.
tiny-arsed 5x10 trailer holds my 48 & 21.

My upgrade will be a full sized cargo van.
Advantages include: storage, security, and protection from the elements, Moving billboard (mine's professionally lettered), ect.

What kinda van you got Vibe Ray?
I wonder if I could shuck the trailer?
Old 08-09-2001, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

van vs. truck

Maybe you should check into an enclosed cargo trailer.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I probally get around 10 with my dual wheel cubie, but that's no problem considering I have the room to have everything with me when needed. When I got my van the wheel wells were too high for my liking so I removed the rear 10' of the floor and lowered it using 2" tubing and installed a mini bevertail inside the van. Now my wells are only about 6" high, I have a pair of 2x10's in there so the deck doesn't catch when it's down low. By putting in the beaver tail my ramp is shorter and less steeper than it would have been and I welded a receiver into the bumper while I was at it. So far we have around Can$3000 invested in the van including the lettering. Of course we did all the work ourselves including the paint job.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

by any chance can we see the inside of your truck? looks like an awesome setup. what all do you use the sweeper for? they are not that common around here at all. does it work good? what brand mower is that that you have the sweeper attached to? any problem with gas fumes? i know that was one of the concerns in another thread.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only difficulty I see is the ramp out of a cargo van. When I say cargo van Im implying a domestic van, not a cube van like U-Haul uses.

Where does the ramp store? How do you prevent it from slipping and having a 700 pound mower falling three feet to the ground?
Old 12-24-2002, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's very simple....I used Aluminum bleachers. Cut an angle on one end to match the angle of the ground and screw a piece of angle aluminum at the other end. Notch it to fit the bumper brackets and voila! It's very scary the first few time u do it, but rest assured it's very easy once u have practiced. They slide under the mower when it's in loaded. I can take pictures no problem if u like. This is only one of many ways, but the bleachers work out perfectly for this. So if you can get yor hands on some...go for it!
Echo PB-603
Echo PE-3100
Old 12-24-2002, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input Ray,

I picked up a One ton Van this Fall to use for camping, and as a back up to my back-up vehicle(Three deep).

I really like the idea of losing the trailer. Even with the trailer I like the van idea, I spend alot of time looking for bushes because I drink to much soda.

Pros:

No hook up time
Bathroom searches can be reduced or eliminated.
Storage is where I park the van.
Security is good, back up to fixed object or building.

Cons:

Blade removal would require off loading mower where now I prop it up on trailer sides.
Space is limited.
No hauling of branches, leaves.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm. Using a 3/4 ton van to haul your trimmers and small stuff and then an open trailer for the big mowers? Hmmm. As long as you get a diesel engine in the van, it should be good. But I cant imagine having to hop into the van evertime I wanted to go get a trimmer or a edger or blower. Yuck.
Also, I hate vans. They look nasty. Yuck.

Old 12-24-2002, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold a 1 ton box van.I was going to use it in my biz but it had the humps over the tires so i decided to sell it.I am going to find me another one though.I'm tired of pulling a stupid trailer all over the country.I have the gate sys all worked out and it want be any problem.My setup will be strong enough to haul a bobcat if need be.Then i will use the trailer just for landscaping only.

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds