Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2007, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

255sx or mini skid

I'm trying to decide on a new machine for plowing with. I have a 100sx which I will keep for small yards and tight areas.

In looking over my booked jobs for the year, it looks like 80% of the installation revenue comes from spaces large enough to use a larger machine in. Most of that work is from a couple of very large sites where the 100sx just isn't going to be able to handle. The pulls get too long, the ground too rough, etc.

So... anyone tried both approaches? I'm looking at either a 255sx or a SK350 mini skid as potential machines. I haven't gotten pricing yet on the sk350 (or more importantly..the plow attachment) Looking at the brochures, the mini skid is small enough that it should be able to fit in my existing trailer (8 x 16 enclosed) without causing me too much stress. I don't think I can get the 255sx on the trailer in a position to keep the weight over the wheels without doing some major rework of the build out or buying a flat deck to pull it on.

Both machines weigh about the same. I like the thought that the skid could be a multi-purpose tool, although I have no plans at present that would require it. I suspect that the 255 might plow better just because it is a dedicated plow.

Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since the forum (especially dirtwater) is considering changing the Lawn
Genie beer name to Buckner beer...that means brass kegs..buy the heavier
trailer to tow the kegs.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just got a call back from my local Ditch Witch dude... The miniskid setup would be almost 10% LESS money than the 255. The whole shaker assembly and blade are identical.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get it, you can get a trench cover up and trencher for it as well, plus a general purpose bucket.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Isn't the 350 the smaller platform from DW? I got a brochure the other day with the 650 on it. I would consider the heavier platform. The biggest limitation of any plow is traction/weight. The plow for the mini-skid on the (I think I got the number right here) 75x mini-excavator platform will out pull the 410, but it won't make the same turns etc.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 350 is a very small machine. It's weight is almost identical to a 255sx. I don't want to get too large a machine (i.e. 410 class) due to space constraints in getting around to sites as well as maneuverability on job sites.

A 650 is almost 2 feet longer and 1000 lbs heavier than a 350. 350 has 20hp Kohler gas engine, 650 = 31.5 hp Kubota diesel.

The soil conditions up here are such that if you try to pull much more than 1" pipe, you are better off to use a mini hoe to trench and drop PVC instead. Trenchers of any reasonable size are pretty ineffective in the rock and clay mix we have.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

anything a mini-excavtor can dig, the 650 with the hoe attachment can probably dig as well. I have seen the 500sx demo'd with many of its attachments, and rented the 500 with plow for several jobs in the past. I was told at the time that the skids DW had smaller than the 500 were somewhat undersized for the plow.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, 350 is the new and improved model that is much bigger than the 300. The 300, I was told, would not run the plow. The specs on the 350 look good with the little knowledge I have. I would imagine that the diesel would be a drawback up in the great white north as well.

Down here, diesel means off road fuel and major savings. Off road diesel chops about 40 cents a gallon off the price The govt. doesn't need that tax money anyway
Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
Ok, 350 is the new and improved model that is much bigger than the 300. The 300, I was told, would not run the plow. The specs on the 350 look good with the little knowledge I have. I would imagine that the diesel would be a drawback up in the great white north as well.

Down here, diesel means off road fuel and major savings. Off road diesel chops about 40 cents a gallon off the price The govt. doesn't need that tax money anyway
LOL.. yep the 350 has twice the hydraulic capacity of the 300, is the same size and has 20 hp instead of 13. I believe that they are phasing the 300 out.

Diesel here is pretty common for a lot of things... just have to have glow plugs installed for cold weather starting. Of course... if its that cold, I'm not irrigating anyway. We don't get any deals on fuel taxes for diesel... we pay way too much for all fuels... reg. unleaded is about $3.60 US/US gal right now....
Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
LOL.. yep the 350 has twice the hydraulic capacity of the 300, is the same size and has 20 hp instead of 13. I believe that they are phasing the 300 out.

Diesel here is pretty common for a lot of things... just have to have glow plugs installed for cold weather starting. Of course... if its that cold, I'm not irrigating anyway. We don't get any deals on fuel taxes for diesel... we pay way too much for all fuels... reg. unleaded is about $3.60 US/US gal right now....
I signed for $2.88/gal unleaded the other day (150 gal). Off-road diesel was $2.48 (topped off a 250 gallon tank, only about 70gal). Both of these are up about 20 cents from 3 weeks ago.