Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump Trailer VS chevy 3500 with dump body

So heres my dilemna. we purchased our 3500 september last year. we got it mostly for fall/spring clean ups, top dressings and our occasional(2-3/month) hardscape jobs. it has worked out great for us until now. our fleet consisted of the 3500 dump body, '06 sierra and '99 2500 with a dump insert.

but things went a lil upside down this year. my dad passed away back in june and im now down to 2 drivers including myself. now with that being said, my other driver doesnt want to drive the dump body. ive tried convincing him, he doesnt want to know anything about it.

having these 3 vehicles now, 1 of them ends up staying parked at the yard. during fall and spring clean ups, the 06 sierra stays back and the dump body and the 2500 with the dump insert are the ones that go out. during grass cutting season, the dually stays back.

the dually costs me $2000 a year for plates, insurrance, registration and inspection. and atleast $1000 a year on repairs. in reality it isnt much because the truck brings in atleast 10-12 times that amount.

its been a few days now ive been thinking about selling the dually and investing in a dumper trailer. i got one priced at $6000. it MIGHT cost me 500-700 a year to run the trailer. so right off the bat, the trailer is much cheaper to run and makes much more sense than the dually, and it can carry 5 tons as opposed to 1ton on the dually.

only downside to the trailer is that tagging a trailer all day isnt that fun and exciting. and finding parking for a truck and trailer isnt always easy.

sorry for the short story guys, im just in a tough position and looking for some opinions.

the trailers im looking at are MISKA, FABROX and PJ TRAILER.

MISKA landscape/contractor model 5 ton

http://www.miskatrailers.com/trailer...d=8&id=50#help

FABROX 6 x 10 with 7000lbs tandem axle

http://www.remorquesfabrox.com/modele-ntd.html

PJ TRAILER 5 x 10 with 5200lbs tandem axle

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=D2

SAVAGE TRAILER "THOR" model 6 x 10 with 7000lbs tandem axle
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's the link to the savage trailer
http://www.remorquessavage.com/en/models/84.html#ct
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I currently own a 6 ton miska dump trailer with contractor package. Before that I owned a 5 ton miska dump. I don't know much about the other brands but have been extremely pleased with my miskas. I would strongly suggest going with a 6-7 ton model. I notice a huge difference between my 6 ton and the old 5 ton model.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Miska trailers are great and we have owned a lot of them. The 7 ton with all upgrades is the way to go, we dont have to do many repairs on them and they are convenient. We have bought other trailers and miska is the best by far.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Id like the six ton but it's a lil too long. I don't wanna go longer than ten feet
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvlandscaping View Post
Id like the six ton but it's a lil too long. I don't wanna go longer than ten feet
Posted via Mobile Device
You can get the 6 ton model made in 6.5 by 10 they just list 6.5 by 12 as the standard size. Although once again I suggest you stay at 12 feet. The extra 2 feet is always nice for transporting machines and what not. Its not like it makes a huge difference when driving...actually backs up easier. I've been in your shoes before and made the mistake of buying a 10 foot 5 ton model and regretted it. If ever you want to see my miska dump trailer i'm located in the west island of montreal.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dump trailers are the way to go for everything except wood chipping ... also I see plow mounts of the dump? ... can't plow with a dump trailer ... I think you're better off keeping the dump truck buddy ... maybe you can find a driver who isn't a wimp?

1999 GMC 2500 4x4 w/ 7'6" Western Unimount
48in Exmark Viking
Honda 21"
2x Redmax String Trimmiers
Redmax Blowers - 8050 & 8001
13hp Billy Goat Walk-behind Blower
Brown Bed Edger
Husqvarna 372XP
Husqvarna 327PT5S
Stihl 026
Snapper Snow Blower
Wheel Barrows & Hand Tools.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I never thought this would be such a tough decision to make. The plowing doesn't bother me much. I don't use the dually in the winter anyways. Itll be going into hibernation at the end of the month until April first.
Posted via Mobile Device