Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a bad engine seal causing this problem with the stator?

Never in my (next month) 16yrs.

Sounds like you got ripped.
Stator $70 range
Regulator $40 range
Seal $3 to $4 range

$186.00 labor, Parts shipping ? tax, For 3/4 to 1 hr. work.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks RestoRob

RestoRob, thank you for your honesty. Withiut a gauge to go by, I was unsure if the price was fair or not. The dealer stated that he had to remove the motor from tha machine (a Walker) to effect repairs, which took time. I guess I cannot understand how an oil leak could cause the stator to go bad. I saw the meter when he tested the old stator. There was .002 ohm from one stator lead to the other and 8 ohms from the stator lead to ground.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OOPS, I mis-took the walker for a walk behind

That really was a fair price in that case....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks RestoRob

RestoRob, do you think that there is any coincidence between the oil leak and the stator going bad. The 20 hp Kohler has about 5500 hours on it with no other problems. We have seven riders. Six are made by Walker, one by ExMark and one by Scagg. We have had good luck with the Kohler engines and one of the other 20hp units has 6700 hours. We change the oil every week, blow down the machines daily and are in tune to anything that requires repair and take the machine out of service as soon as possible to effect repairs.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, I believe thats all it was is a coincidence. I have never heard of or seen oil take out a stator. The way you speak of taking care of this equipment did anyone notice a oil leak ?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"There was .002 ohm from one stator lead to the other and 8 ohms from the stator lead to ground."

.002 OHM?
That's nearly impossible to measure with mere mortal test instruments. Normally you get more radio interference than that.
I think we call that a "short".
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bad stator

RestoRob, there was evidence of oil "seepage" from the lower end but nothing that necesitated taking the machine out of service. In fact, the stator had a fair amount of blackend oil and dirt on it when the dealer showed it to me. I guess a small amount of oil would not show on our daily oil checks. It seems like a seepage of oil attracts dirt which makes it look worse.

Bill, the meter that the dealer used was a Fluke 77 and it was set to auto range. I saw .002 on the stator to stator lead and 8.00 on the stator lead to ground. In fact, the dealer showed me the specs from the Kohler manual which is .064/0.2 for the ohm's test of the stator to stator lead and infinity for the stator to ground test.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well Eric,

This is why I don't believe the oil took out the stator.

The service center I work for is also a Polaris ATV/Ranger Dealership. On all of these ATVs the $340 stator is behind the water tight recoil housing/assembly. When a crank seal starts leaking on these it fills this recoil/flywheel area with oil thus the stator is 'swimming' in oil until the level reaches where the rope exits (about 3/4's of the area) before the customer realizes they have a problem.

On top of this recoil housing is what looks like a oil fill plug but is not, It is removed for using a timing light to check spark advance. I have seen customers remove this plug and fill this area with oil thinking it was low.

I believe it was just time for this stator to check out and they just done you a favor by doing the job right and replacing the leaking seal in the process.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thank you

Restorob, you have a way of making complicated things seem so easy to understand. Thank you again for taking the time to review and comment on my charging issue. It is truly a comforting feeling knowing that there are people like you who are willing to offer guidance to those of us who are not subject matter experts.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"the dealer showed me the specs from the Kohler manual which is .064/0.2 for the ohm's test of the stator to stator lead and infinity for the stator to ground test."

Eric, obviously the stator is shorted to ground as per the 2nd spec.
The point I'm making about .002 OHMs is that it's nearly impossible to measure accurately.
I used to build oceanographic instruments and used some rather spendy Flukes. Just moving the leads around a bit results in bigger errors than that. They act like a radio antenna (to a point) and different orientations make the readings jump all over. The leads themselves have more resistance then that.
"Modern" multi meters use such a TINY amount of current to measure OHMs, that often "outside influences" are often overlooked.
Glad everything is "squared away".

PS- reminds me of a story where a lab technician was calibrating tiny "gram weights". He checked the weight on the very expensive "calibration scale" and then glued the thick, aluminum calibration sticker to the weight.