Register free!

Old 04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

What precautions do you take when applying product?

I just read the label for Momentum FX and it basically tells you to cover your whole body before prepping and applying product. It makes me wonder what risks I'm taking by using this product.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

To answer the original poster...I wear jeans, a short-sleeve polo shirt, and work boots to every spray. I'm wearing a lightweight, long-sleeve Key / Dickie coverall over that, sunglasses (comfort / eye protection), and a half-face respirator with charcoal cartridges.

Yeah, it gets hot out there sometimes. But all I have to do is see that my tan leather workboots are now blue, the wash-water from the overalls is tinted blue, and my respirator filter has a nice blue haze to it. Did I mention I use a blue marker dye in my spray?

Might be overkill, but I'll trade some short-term discomfort during the day for some long-term, healthy time with those I love. The overalls help ward off the skin cancer demon, too.

Of course, I'm the same guy that dons -all- of my protective motorcycle gear (boots, gloves, back protector, helmet, Aerostich riding suit) just to run across town. Hey, the day I can -absolutely- predict when I'll need safety gear, is the day I'll quit wearing it all the time.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy View Post
To answer the original poster...I wear jeans, a short-sleeve polo shirt, and work boots to every spray. I'm wearing a lightweight, long-sleeve Key / Dickie coverall over that, sunglasses (comfort / eye protection), and a half-face respirator with charcoal cartridges.

Yeah, it gets hot out there sometimes. But all I have to do is see that my tan leather workboots are now blue, the wash-water from the overalls is tinted blue, and my respirator filter has a nice blue haze to it. Did I mention I use a blue marker dye in my spray?

Might be overkill, but I'll trade some short-term discomfort during the day for some long-term, healthy time with those I love. The overalls help ward off the skin cancer demon, too.

Of course, I'm the same guy that dons -all- of my protective motorcycle gear (boots, gloves, back protector, helmet, Aerostich riding suit) just to run across town. Hey, the day I can -absolutely- predict when I'll need safety gear, is the day I'll quit wearing it all the time.
MotoGuy

Leather work boots for spraying are a NO NO they absorb liquids and can not be cleaned. Unlined chemical resistant Rubber boots are best but I have used Rubber pullover boots over Tennis shoes. At Present time I am wearing a Steel Toe rubber work boot that is chemical resistant.

Most Labels also require Long Sleeve Shirts as part of your PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) I believe Short Sleeve shirts in summer everyone cheats on.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In 1981, ChemLawn did a study on the affects of "colonestrace levels" in the bloodstream. (I worked for them 1978 - 1989).

The study compared 2 study groups.

1st group) Those that bundled up with face mask, apron, goggles, gloves, and boots while mixing and loading their spray trucks.

2nd group) Those who wore no protective clothing, but they we just as careful as group 1.

Results: Group 1 showed much higher colonestrace levels.
Group 1 also had a markedly higher rate of employee accidents during filling. Tripping over their aprons, poor vision due to goggles fogging up, etc
Group 1 also had a much higher rate of chemical spills. (duh)

Every ChemLawn branch in North America received the results of this study.

I am no rocket scientist, but here's what I know:

My Dad is a retired farmer. 87 years old and in good health.

I have not ever missed any day at work due to any kind of illness for 30 years now.

After 30 years in this industry, I still am the 1st person at work everyday, and I am the last person to go home at the end of each day.

The above are facts.

I hope that nobody who has posted here had to fight in Viet Nam and experience the "agent orange" effects.

By the way, even chemLawn used 245T (agent orange) as a herbicide up until the late 70's. (safe if used at recommended rates for weeds).

Note: respectfully, the term "ChemLawn" is in regard to the "original Pioneer" of professional lawn care. (before they were bought out 3 different times).

Sounds like ChemLawn will be "aquired" again later this summer (a 4th time).

I'm guessing the Duke brothers are rolling over in their graves, and I don't blame them whatsoever.

Here's my problem....new employees half my age who seem to "get sick often"??? Missing work the day after they get their paycheck.....hmmmm

Maybe they should wear aprons & goggles all the time.

This forum cracks me up. Thanks for the humor - it made my day.

Americanlawn (not a senior member)
Old 04-29-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

So next time I spray I should wear jeans, long sleeve shirt, goggles, mask, and rubber covers for shoes. I'm new to lawncare but I take similar precautions when working with certain detail products on cars.

Will the rubber covers that you put on dress shoes when it rains do for protecting your sneakers?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MrC -- I hear ya. In eighth grade, a classmate of mine died. He worked in his Dad's autobody paint shop.

He died from paint fumes from his Dad's paint & body shop. I was a pall barrer at his funeral.

Here's the deal:
Some chemicals are designed to be used around humans & other animals.

I for one, am glad for the technology that American companies have developed in order to allow us to live in the way we now expect.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Life is short enough as it is, why not take the extra time to be around longer.

Quick question, other than thickness are all nitrile gloves equally effective in resisting chemicals?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Americanlawn (not a senior member)
Getting closer. Are you going to stop posting when you become the dreaded " Senior member" ? It's just a post count.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Americanlawn

I am not going to argue that Chemical manufacture put more precautions on the label than necessary. However why risk your health by ignoring those precaution totally??? I am guilty of not using goggles or aprons Etc. However I believe not wearing rubber shoes or boots is just plain stupidity. I haven't wore a mask in years and I let by 7-11 $ 7.00 sun glasses be my eye protection and end up wearing them on my head so I can see the spray pattern better.

Mr C

I have used the slip on rubber overshoe over my tennis shoes and feel it is as safe as any foot wear. I bought several pair from a chemical suppler that are suppose to be chemical resistant. BTW wearing Gloves with hand cream inside sure helps to gives a nice manicure.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Can you recommend a site for rubber slip ons for shoes?