Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-08-2001, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Billy Goat and Little Wonder Blowers

Does anyone have any experience using Billy Goat push mowers? I am interested in acquiring either the residential model (5 hp Honda OHC engine) or the 8 hp commercial unit. I was most impressed with the commercial unit after seeing a video on them at www.billygoat.com. The ability to manipulate the air exhuast via a lever sounds very useful. How do they compare to Little Wonder which is very popular here in Canada.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ive used both and own a little wander 8hp briggs! No other push blower has the power of a little wander due to there unique fan design! My 8hp little wander is equivenlant to a 11hp (or12?) brand x blower..... but much lighter!
Old 08-08-2001, 08:30 PM
Banned

Joe,
A backpack is much more effective than a push blower unless you're doing large res accounts or commercial accounts.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Banned

GET THE 9 HP HONDA LITTLE WONDER! or the 13 hp honda little wonder. great machines.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Micky, you obviously dont have the volume of leaves that we have in PA!!! I use my back packs to blow out the beds where the push blower cant get but use the push blower for the grass areas!!!! On my lawns with the push blower.... you blow 20 ft into the lawn and you got a moutain of leaves as wide as the yard and 4 ft high! certainly more than what a back pack blower can handle!
Old 08-08-2001, 09:13 PM
Banned

Evan528,
"You have a mountain of leaves as wide as the yard and 4 FEET HIGH."
That's alotta leaves. Is that on a weekly contract job or a one shot deal? We have tons of leaves here & 2 guys with backpacks can clean-up a small res real fast on a weekly deal. We use a push on some larger accounts & the commercials.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Little Wonder. You can't go wrong. I've done the side by side tests with them with bottles we set up out in the parking lot. The Little wonder has both, more velocity and more volume than the Billy Goat with the equivelant motor. Don't go with anything under the 8 hp level, as you will be disappointed. Also, I don't think I'd go over the nine because if you've ever ran one of these for any amount of time, you'll know that weight is a large factor in operating fatigue. I felt one of the bigger engines at the dealership, and I couldn't even iMAGine running one of these for any amount of time, especialy if there is hills or slopes. What I have done, is purchased the "blower buggy" by JRCO and run it on my Lazer. This thing is FANTASTIC! Absolutely no work hardly whatsoever. It's all at my fingertip controls.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lesco has a hydro drive blower. looks pretty impressive. no problems going up hills with this beast. hell, you can even put a veky wheel behind it and ride.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the Billy goat,Lesco,and little wonder.I feel the 8hp Billy goat is better balanced than the 8 hp little wonder,but it would take an 11Hp Billy to match the 8hpLittle wonder HO's power.I have 3 little wonders now,the 13Hp HO is unbelievably strong.I love the 8 HO too.I have an older 5 briggs,it runs great,but after using the 13-it only gets used as a backup or when we have extra help.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I carry the Billygoat chip vac with the 5hp Honda,ive had it for many yrs and its always on my trailer. The vac comes in very handy when cleaning large patios, decks and i always use it alot on the curbs. I can't stand LCO leaving the grass on the street for the rain to clog the drains. Its also very handy to chip up all the sticks and twigs the wind leaves behind,it will take a 2" branch and trun it into mulch. But i don't use it much for leaf clean-up the backpacks and tarps handel that. Marks Mowing Service