Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Too Much Business

Hey guys, Im in college and really just started doing this kind of work for fun a few years ago and in the past 2 years my business has grown tremendusly. I keep getting calls from new customers wanting stuff done and im really straped for time as it is. Just not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Ive been pricing new jobs very high thinking if i get them great and if not then no big deal but ive been getting everyone. Should i start turning down business or just keep saying yes and buy another mower and add a buddy? The problem is once my friends get some beer money their nowhere to be found and im the one working till dark every night. What do you think?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hire someone. Thats what I had to do. Just hired a Mexican on Tuesday and he is working just fine. If you want to continue doing this work keep taking the customers. If not say no or raise prices again.

New Horizons Land Management
1996 F-250 crew cab short bed FOR SALE
16' landscape trailer FOR SALE
14' enclosed trailer for hardscapes
6.5' x 12' 12,000 lbs dump trailer
60" Kubota ZD21 FOR SALE
60" JD 997
36" Stander for sale
Sthil Power Tools FOR SALE
Weber 7,000 lb force revs. plate tamp
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking that you are "thinking" your pricing is high but you are probably low.
Couple reasons come to mind. Not bustin balls but did you check into what other LCO's are charging for similar work? Are you doing cash jobs? Are you figuring in all expenses such as tax, insurance, office expenses, gas.
I am not saying that you are wrong because I do not know you or your business but my experience has been that if you are getting almost everything you bid on, you are bidding low.
Most customers will go with low bid unless they have a unique need that they see you filling because you are special. That being said, there are many lawn care companies who mow lawn.
I would reevaluate your expenses which might just put more money in your pocket. You should also figure out what it would take to support an employee. Once you figure in workmans comp, insurance, pay, ect. you may be surprised.
Don't take my post as a negative. I am just trying to help bring to light some things you may not have thought of. This is the place to ask. Take care and good luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

^^ agreed. An accountant once told me your prices are too low if you are doing more business than you can handle. You are obviously good at selling yourself and people are buying you and your service. Charge more, do less work and make the same money or more for less hours.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I would do. Keep going up on your prices untill you max out. Then get all your current customers up to that standard, drop the ones you can't. Buy the best most efficient equipment money will buy. Some time having good equipment will put you in a position so you will not need an employee.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your story wreaks of "you need to raise your prices". Also focus on your fortes and learn to say no to jobs you don't specialize in. Being everything for everyone is a recipe for chaos and pain.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too much busyness = price raise + cherry picking, problem fixed.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

agreed, you are probly way to cheap. altho everyone else has said this, so i dont know why i chimed in. raise your prices!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the imput. Ive currently charging around $65 per yard of mulch and been mowing for around 40 to 80$ per acre. Ive havent been advertising and its spreading just by word of mouth. I really need to start saying no but when the work and money is there in your face its hard to do!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beano View Post
Thanks for all the imput. Ive currently charging around $65 per yard of mulch and been mowing for around 40 to 80$ per acre. Ive havent been advertising and its spreading just by word of mouth. I really need to start saying no but when the work and money is there in your face its hard to do!

Don't know your area, but $65 is cheap for a yard of mulch here. Cheapie guy charges $70. And $40-80 per acre??? Wow, Half acre here is around $80.

But it all depends on your area. I'd knock the Mulch up to $85 a yard. And a small postage stamp yard is $45 and an acre is $120.