Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2001, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Blown Vanguard Engine - 4 hrs after rebuild

What would you expect from the shop??

Just as a preventative maintence move, I took my old 36" Ransome with a 14HP Vanguard to my favorite shop and ask them to go through the engine since I thought it was making an unusual sound. They tore it down, basically said there was nothing that needed to be done after checking all tolerances and re-torqueing everything. They put a new muffler and replace the main gasket, and charged me $489. I was happy to pay it, if nothing else, for the peace of mind I could finish out the season.

I put it to work and after four hours on the job it threw a rod and cracked the block. I took it back, the guy was embarrassed, loaned me a Dixey Chopper and said he "would make it right". He said he was going to get a Kohler for it. We didn't discuss who would pay for what (I know... probably a big mistake).

I know before he origionally tore the thing down we talked about the Kohler and he said he could find one for about $750.

Here is my question, what is fair here. I don't think I should have to pay the whole cost of the new engine and installation (again). What would you expect??

Doug
Old 08-09-2001, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I would expect to pay for the new engine and get reimbursed for the $489 bucks you already paid. You are a commercial guy, and he will make it up someday making good on this one. I had to "eat" some jobs when I knew I did nothing wrong and it was their fault. I have had problems with the vanguards doing this, so that isnt a big surprise. The surprise might be that they didnt find that out when hearing it/tearing it down. Dont ever spend that much on a Vanguard again. Use it and when it dies, get a new one. For a few bucks more you could have had a new engine put on there originally. The guys seems honest if he gave you the dixie to use. So you should have no problem working out something. If he doesnt count you losses and find a new dealer. I have been on your side also and they dont take care of it. Everyone needs to put food on the table, but when they eat theirs and yours......show them the door.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW! That was a lot of money to do basically nothing. Over the winter I sent my Kaw 14 out and had it bored, new rings, new piston and a gasket set for $343.00.

I would certainly ask for my money back!

Or you provide the engine and he provides the labor. Alamia has 14 Kaws for 675.00 and 17's for 795.00. Muffler and shipping are included.

Old 08-09-2001, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the input. What is Alamia??

Doug
Old 08-09-2001, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

www.alamia.com

A good source....

David
Old 08-10-2001, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Richard,the 14 Vanguard is V-twin,yours is a single cylinder,big difference in prices when it has double the parts.I do agree however,that the price was steep,I wouldve just repowered it for peace of mind,rather than pay 489 for basically a muffler.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

How it ended

If you are interested, here is how I settled up with the repair guy. He put a new 14HP Vanguard back on the mower. He charged me $377.00 for the new engine and labor to install it. Adding 377 and the original 485, the total was $862. He said that would be close to the price to have had the engine installed in the first place. I was a little disgruntled he put a Vanguard back on, I ask him to go with a Kohler. I'm not sure why he didn't do what I ask unless he thought I wouldn't pay for it and wanted as little in it as possible.

anyway, I'm mowing again.

Doug
Old 08-20-2001, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doug, did you keep the Chopper?

David
Old 08-20-2001, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Does this guy have experience in business? I would definitely would have worked something out with him before you proceeded. If you dont it would create other problems. Like it did in your case. You are happy now that you are mowing. Wait till next time when the briggs gives out. You will think back on that transaction and be real upseat.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Arborstite,the briggs was fine before he brought it in,it never gave out,until the dealer took it apart,I would never take off a glassy smooth,quite, 14hp Briggs twin,and put on a thrashy ,noisey kohler.The briggs have held up great if they are maintained,no worse IMO than any Kohler,I know of at least 10 briggs 16hp Vanguards with over 5000 hrs on them,still strong.The only trouble they give golf courses is carb after years of use,wil need to be replaced,when the thottle shaft wears out it wont idel goodyou gotta expect that on an engine with that high hours.