Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Repairing Invisible Fence

I broke one today edging a bed. This is a two wire system, each (coated) wire loosely wrapped around the other. Getting crimp on terminals and making the repair is easy enough, just not sure if it matters how the wires reconnect. Both strands look the same with no distinguishible markings....

Is it possible to reverse the polarity and fry the system or will it work either way?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use some door bell wire, will the the job. Just make sure to cap off the connecting ends, and mark their spots for the future.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfquip View Post
I broke one today edging a bed. This is a two wire system, each (coated) wire loosely wrapped around the other. Getting crimp on terminals and making the repair is easy enough, just not sure if it matters how the wires reconnect. Both strands look the same with no distinguishible markings....

Is it possible to reverse the polarity and fry the system or will it work either way?
Don't worry, it is a one wire system. The two wires you see are in fact the same wire twisted around itself. Twisting the wire around itself cancels the transmitted signal creating a safe zone for the pet. Just be sure to use wire nuts designed for burial/outdoor exposure and at least 20 guage wire if you need to add wire to splice together. Water/rain will short the system if you use regular wire nuts when making the splice.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The gator guy is right - one wire system . I always repair with waterproof wire nuts and put heat shrink tubing over the repair.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The repair advise listed is correct, but there is a bigger problem that needs to be fixed. Why should we, the landscapers, be held responsible for cutting underground wires that aren't marked. I finally got so fed up with this, that I put in all contracts that we aren't responsible for unmarked privately installed wires and/or irrigation systems. The customer usually thinks at first that we are always responsible for it since we cut it. Explain to them that to do a high quality job, that bed edging is required, they knew that going into the project and negligence then falls on them. I recently cut through landscape lighting that the customer had just had installed about 3-4 weeks earlier. She called the lighting contractor and told them what had happened. She then told me that I was responsible for paying $50.00 per cut line and $150.00 service fee and they were the only ones that could repair it or they would void her warranty. After settling down, I politly told her that when they did her job, they used plain wire nuts on all connections and there was no way in hell I was going to pay for it especially when it states in our contract that we are not responsible. Sorry to ramble, but the point of the story is this. The lighting contractor had to come back out and completely repair all the connections due to using non-waterproof connections and I was completely out of the woods because that was stated on our proposal. I know I went on and on about something different, but you can see my point I hope. Know if the customer showed you it was there, different story.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Chris638 - That is an excellent idea, I don't run into this problem much but like you said it shouldn't just fall on us. I have something like this in my contract but I never had to use it.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

one of the storage lots I cut had one of those automatic gates with the sensor wires embedded in the concrete when the wire exited the concrete 2" below grade, along the drive way. Did they even think that it was not going to ever get edged

The contractor had to come out, remove the sensor loop and reinstall that way he had something to splice into. I cut it flush...

Idid not pay,. and neither did the storage yard.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everybody...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

The repair instructions above are exactly right. It's especially easy if you know where the break is. Finding a break can be difficult. As for the responsibility issue, if you know where it's broken and it's a simple dog fence, I'd fix it as a "courtesy" because it makes you look good and it's cheap/easy. As for more complex issues like irrigation, lighting, security sytems, I'd cover my arse with contractual language.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Sometimes it is ok to to lose small battles along the way in order to win the war. If it isn't a big hassle I would just fix it to be a nice guy. It will come back to you.