Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2001, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pine Bark Nuggets

I have made a startling discovery!

Weeds have a real hard time growing in beds that have pine bark nuggets for mulch. I mow a few lawns that the beds never get attention and they have no weeds in them. What has the bark got that other mulches don't? I put down mulch at a restaurant and used wood chips..............it's full of weeds every week, takes a lot of time to pull them and they come right back, especially nut grass.

I'm confused
Old 08-09-2001, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We don't use pine bark nuggets or any other kind of nugget because they float and when you use a blower on the beds to remove leaves etc. the nuggets get removed too.

Old 08-09-2001, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We dont' use nuggets either, they usually wind up all over the lawn. and into the mower blades if you dont' pick them .

I have the same issues with Hardwood mulch. They make it with all the stuff we dump , so god only knows what s in there. I try to use Hemlock or cedar when ever possible .. They are cleaner and tend to not have as many weeds in it as the hardwood.. but costs 3-4 times as much.. But that s what you get..
Old 08-09-2001, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I've been telling people to leave those needles under their pines, that pine needles have a natural herbicide in 'em. I'd assume the nuggets have the same effect. I gotta agree with Richard Martin though, they're a big PITA for the reasons he mentioned.
Homer, if you're gettin weeds thru the mulch you may want to line the bed with landscape fabric next time. It's kind of pricy, but not if you figure it can last up to 30 years. You can get the heavy kind at A.M. Leonard www.amleo.com or you can get the lighter stuff at Loews and such.
You ought to get A.M. Leonard to send you a free catalog if you don't have one. It's tools for Arborists, Growers etc and all those other folks in that end of the business where I don't have a clue.
Dave
Old 08-09-2001, 08:40 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
The proper use and selection of pre and post emegrent herbicides
can eliminate 99% of hand weeding.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WEEDS

Weeds

Homer, the one thing I have learned about beds is that you don't want to use weed block material. I did and still get weeds

Now when I get ready to turn the beds or till them I will have to pull the material out. Hardest lesson I have learned to date.

Stone has the right plan.

Chris
CP Mayhew, Inc.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nuggets don't break down the same way that regular mulch does, they even kill grass, just look around the beds and you may see that grass is diying along the edge.

Stone is right.

I think this is something every LCC needs get a pesticede applicator license you don't know how useful it is.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:04 PM

Weed block fabric is most useful under stone only. If you use it with mulch, when the mulch erodes it turns to soil (within 1 year) and you are left with weedblock between layers of soil. When this happens the weeds will just grow on top.

I agree with Stone