Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2001, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Timber steps

I have done many timber steps making a standard U shape and stacking them to make the steps.

I now need to make some that are more complicated and wanted to hear some 'best practices' before I start. These steps are wider and have an angle in them. For example, 4' of the step is straight than it angles off at a 45 deg angle for another 3-4'. I'm thinking they need another tieback in at this angle. Another option is to fill in the lower step first and use the fill to hold up the step.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2001, 10:11 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Starting at the bottom is the only way to build them but you need to plan out your steps for height, you shouldn't need any more tie backs unless you run into bad ground or have forces working on it that we don't know about here. seeing the site and a drawing of the proposed steps would help.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish I knew how to add a picture, but here is a better description.

I always start from the bottom, but I normally use the standard "U" shaped step with 4' tiebacks and usually a 4' wide step. These steps have a 45 degree angle as part of the step and I am concerned that the 'angle' portion of the step/tread needs support underneath similar to how the ends of the step get support from the tiebacks. Therefore I can either add another tieback mainly for support for the next step up at this angle or backfill the step first so let it set on that, but I would expect that to be less accurate to more prone to settling.

I hope the 'angle in the step' description is sufficient.