Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2007, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not in the lawn business, but...

My work career started at home, fabricating neon signs and repairing electronics to get through college. Always had a liking of all types of machinery as a kid and eventually started repairing the home lawnmower, weed eaters and my cars when I got them. Once completing my degree as an electrical engineer I started looking for employment in the field with no success. Many of my friends were in the lawn/landscape/construction fields and I began to repair their small engines, and skid loaders because qualified mechanics were hard to find. Many of the repair techs overcharged or billed for work not performed. Over time I did acquire a job with a traffic signal contractor but continued to repair equipment for landscapers on weekends. This was not as bad as having to work in the field as the equipment came to me, I made repairs and it went back. Eventually things changed again as friends moved away and the repair work dried up. It just became too competitive for them to mow lawns in a place where the cost of labor went so low.

I moved from the Miami area to Key Largo and eventually stopped servicing equipment. Got into business selling security cams and dvr's a few years ago, and teach electronics part time at the college. Working from a desk is not the same as working outside, and while I do not like being in the sun, I do enjoy my time making repairs and operating equipment. Have been able to run everything from skid steers to crawler loaders (high lift) and dozers. Perhaps when I move out of this area I will be doing it once again. Even getting some weekend work again would be nice.