Register free!

Old 08-09-2001, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Waterfall over segmental retaining wall

I've seen a few of these, and am interested in trying one, but as I make sketches to figure out where the liner will go, I get a little shnookered.

Is the liner simply placed between the cap course and the top standard-unit course (for Versa-Lok), with the mouth of the waterfall one course lower than the rest of the wall, liner sloped up at sides (making a bowl with the opening at the falls), and just cram silicone into the seam between the caps (where the water is spilling over) and the liner?

I saw one today, and the wall was about 2' high, the mouth of the waterfall about 2' wide, but the wall had about 3-4' of horizontal area that was wet. I'd really be worried about water getting behind that wall and knocking it over come winter.

Any tips?
Old 08-10-2001, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The engineering/design department of a segmental wall manufacturer should be able to supply you with a typical detail of how they recommend doing it. I have one at work that I will try to find so I can explain that design accurately. Part of the advantage of having them do the design is being able to share the liability with them.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aquascape Designs Bio Falls realy helps in this situation because of the snout that comes off the Bio Falls which helps direct the water over the retaining wall. Plus the liner from the pond comes up behind the retaining wall and is bolted and siliconed to the back of the snout on the Bio Falls which directs any water that might have made its way behind the wall back into the pond. You really should check out Aquascape's stuff to see waht I mean.