Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2001, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

snipe or spade skid attachments

Has anybody used either of these , and what do you think. I am considering purchasing one for my skid steer. Not sure which one. They seem expensive for what they are ?? Any alternatives. Any feedback would be appreciated.. Thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Is this what you are talking about??
Old 08-10-2001, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the Snipe at Mid Am. Paul, its the long(6') and narrow(20") bucket for skids. Looks like it might have good apps for retaining wall filling and mulching over walls. I thought about one for unloading a truck without having to dump all your dirt, rock, mulch... Haven't committed for the $1k+ yet though.
Paul,
I was also looking at spades like that. Can't quite swing a hydraulic yet but wondered how these things work? Any input using a 753 Bobcat?
Scott
Old 08-12-2001, 10:18 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Have never tried a spade like this on any thing smaller than a LS160, sooooo, can't tell you for sure, but on that machine or larger they work great, takes 5 minutes to dig a hole and we figure 15 minutes for it planted. one tool to do it all, dig, carry, plant, backfill and mulch.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul,

Is the back of that spade(in your pic) open? If so how does that work and why is it open? Ours is closed. We also welded two hooks to the top(for a chain) which is handy for moving trees around.

SCL,

I have used our spade on a 843 but it is not that great. This is a older machine. It works "okay" on the 853 but of course works best on the 863.
Like Paul said they can be a great all purpose tool. Another great use ....when placing larger rocks you can place them easier in the exact spot you want them then you can with a bucket.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:52 AM
Lawnsite Addict

our NH's have a solid plate attachment so the hole is covered, Neat idea welding hooks on for a chain going to look into that.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen that Bobcats digger has an all open back to it. Thy claim that way you can use it to trench backwards or level with it. When I contacted them about size for my 753 they said 2' was about it. Seems like that would be a little small.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCL
I have seen that Bobcats digger has an all open back to it. Thy claim that way you can use it to trench backwards or level with it.
Interesting... like I said ours is closed and I would not want it open ,for ours is used mainly for digging tree holes.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul,

No that wasn't the one I was talking about.. The one Scott mentioned is .. There are two companies making similar ones.. The snipe and then one called the spade.. I think They are both about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide, with a few teeth at the end.. I guess they are similar in function to the one you showed. Basically what I want it for is digging holes for trees and walls, moving trees and stones, popping and digging out trees and shrubs and maybe moving some soil or gravel in between.. The two I mentioned claim they can do all of this.. They are all a little pricy though about 1500.00 each.. I think the one you showed is about 1K .. That's the ffc one ?
Old 08-12-2001, 10:17 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Chris, look at the FFC one I think you'll like it better! I think 6' is too long it will put too much stress on the loader linkage while digging holes.