Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 PM
LawnMowingNewbie LawnMowingNewbie is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10
Tell me about Lawn Boy mowers......

Hi,
I am starting a lawn-mowing business for the spring/summer. I have done some advertising and have a few clients lined up for next week.

My budget only allows for me to buy a consumer push-mower but this should be okay as I will only be doing at tops 25-30 cuts per week and I am only doing small-to-medium sized residential lawns.

The local Home Depot has a Lawn Boy 6.5HP rear-bagging pushmower on sale for $350.00. The reason I am looking at Lawnboy is that I have read that for the $$, it has a great mulching capability. Three of my clients only want their grassed mulched - not bagged, etc., so now I have made mulching my selling point.

I understand that buying commerical equipment is the ideal way to go; however, I simply cannot afford it right now and I am only doing this part-time.

Any helpful advice on Toro's Lawnboy line would be greatly appreciated.

My friend did 60 cuts a week with a consumer model lawn-mower, and it was not a problem.
thanks in advance,
LawnMowingNewbie
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
IA_James's Avatar
IA_James IA_James is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,595
Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that.
__________________
"To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day." - 1912 Progressive Party Platform, Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2007, 05:31 PM
bigcountry01's Avatar
bigcountry01 bigcountry01 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: knoxville TN
Posts: 136
60 cuts a week with a push mower???!!! You would think if he had that amount of business he could atleast buy a used commmercial mower. it would take forever just to mow one yard with a push mower plus trim and blow. sure would earn the money though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2007, 06:23 PM
lurch's Avatar
lurch lurch is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 221
i don't know much about lawn boy mowers....

but i do know that i also use a homeowner 21"...

i use a Cub Cadet SRC-621...its a 6.75 ohv B&S engine...it has caster wheels so it turns just like a zero...i happen to love it...i used a troy-bilt before this one and i hated it...so far i've replaced the cheapo hardware all around on the cubby and its tough as nails...i sharpen the blade weekly at home and change the oil bi-weekly and the spark plug monthly...

hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2007, 06:57 PM
LawnMowingNewbie LawnMowingNewbie is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10
Just to respond to a few comments.

"60 cuts a week with a push mower???!!! You would think if he had that amount of business he could atleast buy a used commmercial mower."

Actually I don't think I stated this number - I said 25-30 cuts a week. That is not what I currently have, it is what I hope, through word-of-mouth, and flyers, to attain. I am also steering clear of big lots and focusing on smaller to medium lawns. I simply do not have money to by a commericial right now. There is no other option, that is why I am seeking advice on Lawnboy, as it is made by Toro 9whom several have suggested to me) and it is on sale!

I am also want to use a push mower to get in-shape, and have alloted 60 min. per lawn for a cut/mulch and edging. All smaller to medium lawns.

"but i do know that i also use a homeowner 21"..."

It is good to know that someone else is using a homeowner model! Thanks for your advice. Poin taken about maintenance, etc.

"Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that."

Anyone heard this about Lawn Boy equipment? I thought they were a reliable brand.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 PM
snowbrdr360 snowbrdr360 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Port Washington, WI
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_James View Post
Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that.

Had the same problem with mine... I gave it away
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM
1MajorTom's Avatar
1MajorTom 1MajorTom is online now
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbrdr360 View Post
Had the same problem with mine... I gave it away
i wished you would have given it to us. 9 years in biz, and it's the only brand we've ever used (in 21 inch that is). we liked them so much that we bought 6 of them, the last the dealer had, so we could have them since the kind we use aren't being made anymore. if we see a used one that a homeowner is selling, we snag it up. they are good mowers for how we use them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnMowingNewbie LawnMowingNewbie is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10
"they are good mowers for how we use them."

1MajorTom - how do you use them?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2007, 03:17 AM
snowbrdr360 snowbrdr360 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Port Washington, WI
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom View Post
i wished you would have given it to us. 9 years in biz, and it's the only brand we've ever used (in 21 inch that is). we liked them so much that we bought 6 of them, the last the dealer had, so we could have them since the kind we use aren't being made anymore. if we see a used one that a homeowner is selling, we snag it up. they are good mowers for how we use them.

I'll go snag it back and give it to you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Tom c.'s Avatar
Tom c. Tom c. is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: north jersey
Posts: 218
25-30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowingNewbie View Post
Hi,
I am starting a lawn-mowing business for the spring/summer. I have done some advertising and have a few clients lined up for next week.

My budget only allows for me to buy a consumer push-mower but this should be okay as I will only be doing at tops 25-30 cuts per week and I am only doing small-to-medium sized residential lawns.

The local Home Depot has a Lawn Boy 6.5HP rear-bagging pushmower on sale for $350.00. The reason I am looking at Lawnboy is that I have read that for the $$, it has a great mulching capability. Three of my clients only want their grassed mulched - not bagged, etc., so now I have made mulching my selling point.

I understand that buying commerical equipment is the ideal way to go; however, I simply cannot afford it right now and I am only doing this part-time.

Any helpful advice on Toro's Lawnboy line would be greatly appreciated.

My friend did 60 cuts a week with a consumer model lawn-mower, and it was not a problem.
thanks in advance,
LawnMowingNewbie
If your doing 25-30 cuts per week say at 30-35 dollars avg thats an avg gross of 750.00 per week. Say minus your overhead : gas, and im guessing your working out of your home with no trailer and no insurance. So say your gas cost is 50.00 a week youll still gross 700.00 x 4 weeks =2800. Why not buy a 36in. W/B and a small trailer? You can buy a decent commercial mower for 2-3k For a little down and a small monthly payment. I pay 88.00 a mth for a bobcat for 24 mths on a 0% loan. With the larger mower youll work Quicker and it will last you a heck of a lot longer that that lawnjockey will. Thats just my line of thought. Run the numbers and think about it GOOD LUCK
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.10744 seconds with 8 queries