Register free!

Old 08-09-2001, 07:58 PM
Banned

Soap Suds In The Fountain...

I do a few fountains, nothing special just skim the schmeg and toss in some shock every now and then. I have this one fountain that gets dishsoaped once a month - six weeks. I try to keep the area super clean, not even cigarette butts but the bratty kids have @ it now and then. Keeping up on trash flow really helps to reduce vandalism, what do other people do and do others have these crisis also? Any funny stories?
Old 08-10-2001, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but.......Huh? Schmeg, shock, trash flow?

You appear to be speaking language that's foreign to me.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you certain that it is dishsoap and not excess protein that is foaming? Please check out the more biologically friendly control systems available, starting with Aquascape. Shocking turns into a vicious cycle because the dead algae is fertilizer for the next crop of algae. I have had a pond for two years and have never shocked it or needed to and the water is clear.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:54 PM
Banned

These are high traffic fountains @ commercial banks that take some fire from vandals. Schmeg is little bits of leaves,windblown trash,Fir needles,gum wrappers,cigarette butts,etc. sorta looks like this:

looks like that but it floats! as for shock treatment I use that maybe once a month. Stonehenge, sorry if Generation X is rising to power you need to adapt!
Old 08-12-2001, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'm certainly no expert in the field of water features, but am learning. As for adapting to gen-x taking power...there's about 7 dog years between your age and mine...not over the hill just yet.

Let's talk hardscapes and I'm confident my language will appear unfamiliar to you.

But I do appreciate the lingo/water feature education - I had a problem with the picture, however - a photopoint window pops up asking me for a login and password when I load this thread.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Banned

Hope I didn't offend you that was NOT my objective. Here is the image of what schmeg is, I am confident you know what it is.....

The water forum was dormant and I just wanted to liven it up a bit with a trademark offbeat post. I never meant to attack you or make you feel put off. I just got the 128 mg card for my camera so I will post some true photos of Soap Suds In The Fountain soon, teenagers willing!
Old 08-13-2001, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry - my skin is thicker than that. I just wanted you to know I wasn't as much of an old fart as you might think.

As I'd said, I'm a novice at the water feature thing, so someone with much more experience appears to be speaking Greek to me.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

In a town near me they have a fountain that flows at about a bizillion gpm. One morning I drove by and it looked like someone dumped 10 gallons of dish soap in it. There was bubbles for 30 feet on all sides of the giant fountain.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:38 PM
t

shock

what is shock?
Old 09-13-2001, 03:38 AM
Banned

Bleach...