Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

huge forsynthia to take down....help!!

Here is the job, a line of forsynthias approx. 15ft tall, 12ft. wide, all in a line about 100ft long.....this thing is HUGE!! They want it all cut down leaving the base. What would be the correct tools to use for this? Chainsaw? I know that would work but is there anything that can work a little quicker and easier? I will probably pick up a pole saw head for my trimmer to help out as well. Anyone have any ideas? All material is to be hauled off.....I'll get pics of this thing today while i'm mulching the next door neighbors place

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwlandscaping View Post
Here is the job, a line of forsynthias approx. 15ft tall, 12ft. wide, all in a line about 100ft long.....this thing is HUGE!! They want it all cut down leaving the base. What would be the correct tools to use for this? Chainsaw? I know that would work but is there anything that can work a little quicker and easier? I will probably pick up a pole saw head for my trimmer to help out as well. Anyone have any ideas? All material is to be hauled off.....I'll get pics of this thing today while i'm mulching the next door neighbors place

There must be more then one??? chain saw at the very bottom with someone to pull all the cut stuff off of you.Make sure your chain is as tight as it can be or should be, you will be working it on its side the whole 100 feet.

PICS PLEASE
Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

hmmm

Check out a Kawasaki(I think thats what they are I have three) KBL 34cc Trimmer, put a Tri-blade on one, it will be the fastest way you ever went through brush and projects like this, of course don't take off the guard and really cut.

DO get a full face screen protection !!!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Just taking it down to the ground level or 1-2'...do yourself a favor and rent a tow-behind chipper. Get two day laborers to feed it while you run down the line making cuts with the chainsaw. I'd expect that job to take about two hours tops with the right gear.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys....typical of me i forgot the camera when i went to finish the mulch work, i'll get it asap for you though!!

thanks for the responses!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mcclure makes the best point - cutting them down is the easy part , if you don't chip the limbs you will be hauling for a very long time .....
Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

As for a price? Anyone have any suggestions and that would be considering i think i will be renting a chipper.

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope some jobs are real work and they are hard and they take time. Sometimes you just have accept the fact you are going to have to work hard if you want the job.
The chipper of course will help you quite a bit, but remember that this business is hard work, that is a fact.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel View Post
Nope some jobs are real work and they are hard and they take time. Sometimes you just have accept the fact you are going to have to work hard if you want the job.
The chipper of course will help you quite a bit, but remember that this business is hard work, that is a fact.
That's fine and that was one of my questions on weather or not the chipper would be worth the rental.....my dad was arguing against it and asking on here is a good way to see which way to go. I have absolutely no problem working hard.

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclureandson View Post
Just taking it down to the ground level or 1-2'...do yourself a favor and rent a tow-behind chipper. Get two day laborers to feed it while you run down the line making cuts with the chainsaw. I'd expect that job to take about two hours tops with the right gear.
you'r hired........