Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2001, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Weak Cylinder on 20hp Kohler

I've developed a weak cylinder on my Walker, 20hp kohler (750 hours). I'm burning about 1/2 quart of oil every 5-8 hours and fouling a plug about every 10 hours. I know I need to get it fixed but I just can't find the time. Am I causing further damage by just letting it go until I can get it to the shop ? I do make sure it has enough oil and it's easy to tell when the plug is fouled. I'm using 10w30 mobil synthetic. I wonder if I could help it out by using a slightly heavier oil. I did put a fouler plug in it but it did not respond well. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

CHECK FOR A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A CYLINDER LEAKDOWN GAUGE. OR REMOVE THE HEAD OF THE CONSTANTLY FOULED PLUG. IF THIS IS A "COMMAND" ENGINE THEY RECOMMEND THE USE OF 10W30 OIL ONLY.
Old 08-11-2001, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like a head gasket for sure.Mine did the same thing,check the gas,fill the oil when is blown.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm burning about 1/2 quart of oil every 5-8 hours and fouling a plug about every 10 hours.
is it smoking bad?

Pull the head and check the gasket, head and block surface, and cylinder walls, if they are scratched or scarred, you're gonna need a rebuild.

The key is to determine what caused this.

Has it overheated?
How long has it been using oil?
Has it misfired?
Ever have water in your fuel?

When you remove the head make sure the block and the head are decked (go over them with a heavy file)

You could keep running it, but you may cause more damage to your engine.

regardless of the oil you use, you have a serious problem that needs attention.

Good luck!!
Old 08-12-2001, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Running with blown head gaskets is very bad for the engine,the powerstroke pressure+compression pressure all go right into the crankcase thru the pushrod passage,where every head gasket blows.This pressure froths the oil,and forces excess amounts of crankcase pessure,more than the system was designed for,so the whole engie actually becomes pressurized,making seal leaks,and gasket leaks/blowouts much more likely.It would be much better if it blew out externally,between the exposed cooling fins no pressurizing crankcase,and you would know it blew right away.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for blown head gasket for sure. John D. is right on the money. This is a very common problem w/ Kohler Command V-twin engines. ED
Old 08-13-2001, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your help guys. It's going under the knife next Monday. When this first started, I had just sold my backup walkbehind and was only left with a 21" for backup. Now I've got my GD chariot so I'm not in such a pinch anymore. I'll only have to 21" 4 - 5 lawns if the Walker isn't fixed by week's end. The problem is very deceptive because it runs so good with a new plug. It does smoke a little but not allot. Anyway, it will be ready for fall cleanups in a couple of weeks. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I've worked on 8 walkers in the last two months and don't be suprised if it's more than a simple head gasket. 6 out of 8 needed short-blocks that came in with the same problems. Very common with walkers! No love for them in our shop!!!
Old 08-15-2001, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Les,

FYI

Walker doesn't make Kohler engines.

Sounds Like a Kohler problem!
Old 08-21-2001, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the call from the dealer today about my Walker. New engine needed ! It's been an expensive month. He said there was too much damage for a rebuild. He really wasn't sure what caused it but said there was allot of debris in the engine. He did mention there was a metal cover missing from the air cleaner which I wasn't aware of. I have cleaned the carburetor a few times and noticed how easy it got dirty and it was very sensitive to wet weather. This cover may have been missing for a while and it just took it's toll. He said a short block would not be advisable because of the amount of bore he would have to take out because of the huge gap between the cylinder and piston and the cylinder wall damage. In hind sight, I probably could have saved this engine if I had taken it in earlier. I just kept the oil filled and kept the plugs clean and ran it for a couple of months and let it smoke. Expensive lesson learned !!! (800 hours)