Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2000, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted to know who you guys found the best deal with for health ins., & how much . Example-Blue cross/provides major medical & dental/$350 a month for me, wife & 2 kids at 8 & 10 yrs. old/$500 deductible. Also are there any you had bad experiences with & would recommend avoiding? Thanx.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-05-2000, 08:54 AM

I read an AP story about a married self employed couple health insurance doubled after they turned a certain age to over 1700$ per month with no kids. Unless you are a large enough company to get a group plan. We will all be screwed out of insurance as we get older. Unless the government jumps in with an affordable plan. There is a window of age. I believe it is 45 to 64 before medicare kicks in, where unless you are making the big bucks or have a group plan. You won't be able to afford insurance. I know a man who developed a heart condition at 60. His insurance company shot up his premium to 10000$ a quarter! So God forbid you get sick. There are millions of americans who can't afford health insurance. A one week stay in the hospital could bankrupt any one of us. Think of this when you price your yards.
Old 03-05-2000, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Blue Cross plan through Alfa. It's costing me $580.00 every 2 months and carries a 500 per person/1500 per family ded. The problem is you have to meet the total $1500.00 before it starts to pay its 80% share! I checked around and couldn't find anything cheaper in my area. If anybody has a better plan with better coverage let us know.<p>Homer
Old 03-05-2000, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I am paying $150 a month, have never had to use it, thank god. but it was deveoped by small business owners and targets small business owners. There is also benefits for the company also, like debt collectors and other helpful services
Old 03-06-2000, 08:12 AM

EDL, You didn't mention the name of the company you are using. Would like to know.
Old 03-06-2000, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Charles it is called Health Care Value Managment, and is a company under Mid West National if you want the phone # email me and i will look for it.
Old 03-06-2000, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In a prior life I worked in management for a medical/life/disability insurance company. My co doesn't offer lawn maintenance, but I would imagine there are associations you could belong to that, as a huge association, you'd be able to get very reasonable rates. Otherwise, as a small group, your rates will be pretty high. And if, god forbid, someone working for your company or their family member gets cancer, your rates the following year will be unaffordable. What's worse, depending what state you live in (MD is probably best off), when you have to cancel coverage the next year because it costs too much, that person with cancer won't be able to get coverage anywhere else (at least not for that condition), as it'll be pre-exed. They'll be able to get COBRA, but it's also very expensive and limited in duration. Just about a death sentence. Disgusting business. Check around - you might be able to get medical through your chamber of commerce if you're a member, other civic groups, trade associations. For the industrious out there you might be able to organize a local org to capitalize on this. Talk to an agent about an association plan. And if they don't help, ask for a district or regional sales manager, or for the home office of your company of choice. Too often the agents don't want to put in the extra effort for something like this - too shortsighted.
Old 03-06-2000, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It's said that over 90% of all the medical<br>expenses you'll have over a lifetime will happen in your final year of life. <p><p>
Old 03-06-2000, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, nobody knows which year that'll be.
Old 03-06-2000, 08:39 PM
Alpine Landsc Maint

The area I am moving into in a few months<br>has a great idea. The local private small businesses can get health insurance through<br>the chamber of commerce. You just have to be a member. I would have to check the paperwork again, but I think it is around $350 a month.