Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

expo

turboguy
will tou or your co. be at expo in louisville this year.

thanks, nop
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I will definately be there. Please feel free to stop by and the same goes for anyone who would like to say hello.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Over seeding Question

Turbo Guy
I purchased a used 300 gal. "Turbo Turf" unit. I have been doing well with it, but, what is the best way to over seed into a "mixed bag" - partly well covered with grass, partly sparse, bare patches around.

I had previously graded the area, set for a while, mainly waiting for fall weather, and so some weeds had grown up, so I sprayed it "dead" now I "shot" it today, did like you said earlier, lighten up on mulch, tried to direct the stream down to get penetration, and then backed off and gave it a light overcoat.

Is this about right? I hope so, cause I'm beat!!

Hope this makes sense, I've been going all day, and I can hardly think straight right now, but I have another job to do which is similar in nature.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Dirt Boy,

The job you are describing sounds exactly like the kind of repair jobs I usually get here. They are all pretty easy and most always turn out well.

Your description sounds perfect.

I think I said some of this before but trim any existing grass close and bag it. You can scratch up the surface on any bare areas if you want but I most often don't and then just spray it the way you described.

I usually prefer to do my repair jobs in the spring and fall when the ground is nice and soft rather than rock hard the way it gets in August. You might try doing the job the day after the rain or have them do some deep watering for a day or two first but even if you don't it should be fine.

I mentioned watering first. This is the only time I would even think about it. The worst thing you can do is water a new lawn install before you hydro seed it. I had one a long, long time ago that was dusty and powdery and I was stirring up so much dust when I sprayed that it looked more like I was using a blower than a seeder. I decided to water it down. BIG MISTAKE. Don't ever try it.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks Turbo Guy, I appreciate your help.

Just did my brothers today 36k sq. ft. (It's LABOR DAY - Right!!)
Perhaps you have answered this, but what are the chances of getting a stand of grass in existing grass?
We killed an area of existing grass just to make a straight line across the yard, and although we mowed it off short, I am wondering if this will "take".
The seed has to get into contact with the soil, and the grass, although dead, is pretty dense.
Hope this makes sense, just another 12 hr. day.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I understand. Just think about how nature re-seeds. Even if the seed hangs up on the existing grass watering and rains will send most of it to the soil surface and I think you will be fine. That is a little of why we suggest thinning the mix is if you plastered it on the blades of existing grass with enough mulch it might get stuck there but I think you will find the bulk of the seed will get where it needs to be and just do great.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
I mentioned watering first. This is the only time I would even think about it. The worst thing you can do is water a new lawn install before you hydro seed it. I had one a long, long time ago that was dusty and powdery and I was stirring up so much dust when I sprayed that it looked more like I was using a blower than a seeder. I decided to water it down. BIG MISTAKE. Don't ever try it.
I did my first job today. the dirt has been real dry and it seem to just ball up with sprayed on the dirt. I was wondering why you don't want to wet down the dirt first...???? what happens if you do??? thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, what you end up making is a lot of mud then when you walk you sink in and when you drag your hose you carry a lot of mud with it both making the hose very hard to drag and messing up the surface a lot.

What you might try instead in dusty conditions is just spraying out and letting it fall gently to the surface. You will still get some dust but not nearly as much and you will build a thicker layer of mulch using much less material. Try it next time and see what you think.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info. I wanted to make sure that wetting down the area wouldn't damage the slurry. thanks again.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, that part will be fine. You will just find yourself walking around with 10 pounds of mud stuck on each foot and making craters where ever you walk. If the dirt is light and powdery like the job you talked about, and you water it first, it will almost look like you forgot to prep it when you are done.