Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2007, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

a few chopper questions

I have an opportunity to pick up a Dixie chopper for a song. However I was told that the hydraulics are bad on the left side of the machine. So my question is this. Is there a rebuild kit for these hydraulic motors and pumps, or would it be easier to replace the whole thing. And what is the ballpark cost in doing so. Also are there any other reasons that could cause this to happen. When I was talking to the guy, and asking questions over the phone he didn't sound very mechanically inclined. Any info would be a great help, as I am unfamiliar with these machines.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

whats bad ? the pump? the wheel motor ? J-Thomas will probably have both or take them to your dealer or hydraulic shop and have them prfessionally rebuilt.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I work for a Dixie dealer and we have been selling them for around 5 yrs, I have had zero problems with these hydro systems. There are some things to check before throwing parts on.

The most common is the belt tension/adjustment, If this hydro belt is worn/miss-adjusted it will cause one side to be weak. Another is the spring loaded idler arm for the hydro belt, It is mounted with a 3/8' bolt and nyloc nut to the upper frame under the seat. Dirt gets packed around this bolt/bushing and causes binding/tension loss and belt slippage.

Dump valve could not be seated tight enough.
Check all hydro line fittings for tightness, One could be sucking air but not bad enough to leak oil.

If they are saying weak on one side they may mean it drives to one side or the other. In this case check rear tire pressure first, In some cases one tire may have been replaced with the same size but different brand and could be larger or smaller in diameter. In this case measure the circumference of the tires.

Also a tire could have a split cord making it larger or the tracking may just need a adjustment.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your help guys, I went and took a look at it, and i believe the problem is the linkage between the steering lever and the drive motor. I made him a low-ball offer, we'll see if he takes it.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
Thanks for all of your help guys, I went and took a look at it, and i believe the problem is the linkage between the steering lever and the drive motor. I made him a low-ball offer, we'll see if he takes it.
sooo.... did he take it?