Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Attention Fastrak Owners

I am still seeing a lot of interest in these forums from prospective Fastrak buyers. I was one of these folks last year and this site was very helpful to me in making my decision. What I thought I would do is start a thread where Fastrak owners could post their experiences with this machine so people could read them.
Please include the year model, engine / deck combination, number of hours on your machine, how much you mow, etc. Also include any warranty or service issues and any and all opinions about the mower.
Here's mine:
2006 20/52 Honda bought 5/06, paid 4657 plus tax.
Seat spring kit and hour meter installed.
31 hours mowing 2.5 acres
Had warranty service for some items that should have been adjusted in pre-delivery check, such an overtight bypass valve and a loose breather hose on the transmission that eventually came off. Was taken care of by regional sales rep. Have also had intermittent hot start problems that still show up now and then. Took care of tracking adjustment myself.
Other than that this is an AWESOME machine. Has been very reliable, powerful, quiet, and is built like a frickin TANK. Workmanship is fabulous on this machine, and they used extremely heavy components, no cheap plastic anywhere. Ultra solid frame, bulletproof deck.
Cut quality is excellent. REALLY wish there was a rubber discharge chute, I used one from a 52" Mini Z for a while but it was not a great fit so I went back to that steel monster.

I HOPE OTHER OWNERS WILL POST HERE. I WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO SEE WHO HAS THE MOST HOURS!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a honda 18/52 in 8/06 and I have not had a problem with the machine yet. Don't know how many hours though. I used a power washer on it and some paint came off so I will need to touch that up later. I bought the side bagger and I really hate it. I plan on buying the back bagger with the blower real soon. The damn side bag gets clogged very easy.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Fastrak owner

This is a great thread for prospective Fastrak owners. Here's my machine:

2006 18 hp Honda/ 52"
with Flex Forks, hour meter, spring seat, lever extensions, 40 hours.

Since I'm around 6'3" & 210 lbs. the spring seat & lever extensions give me more room. My pro's & cons are below:

Pro's
4 year residential warranty
steel welded deck
built like a tank
Honda engine is great
steering is accurate & precise
easy maintenance - 4 grease zerks, plugs, oil & filters easy to get to, etc.
flex forks for bumpy areas
Great cut

Cons - resolved for 2007
steel discharge chute
(PJ - please convince the powers to be to get a rubber chute on the pre-2007's)

I have to admit my wife convinced me to spend the extra money & get a high end residential mower, instead of that big box crap. I started researching and found Hustler to have rave reviews. I can now say I'm glad that I purchased a Hustler. I love it!

And my wife was right!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an 18/44 Fastrak that was built in 09/05. I have a small yard so I only have about 25 hours on it. I couldn't be happier. I looked at several other ZTR mowers but none of the others could measure up. I,too, wanted a heavy duty residential mower and I also have a lot of things to mow around.
PJ's help on this board also influenced my decision to purchase the Hustler.
Put me down as wanting a rubber discharge chute.
I am a very satisfied owner. Diamondjim
Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Let's keep it going, I'd love to hear about some high hour units!
Mowing my little 3 acre corner of the world...
Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 05 Fastrak 20 hp Honda, 52" inch cut. I have 325 hours on the machine and (knock on wood) not any issues whatsoever. I change the oil every 50 hours. I am using it for about 20 customers and it is doing great. I will be moving up to a Mini or Super Z next year. I have the seat springs and entertaining the idea of the flex forks. I run hi-lift and gators on it and change them weekly (sharpen). As you all mentioned, these machines are tough as a tank. I also have slimed all my tires. This has been one of the better things I have done. I had three leaks in one week last fall, since adding the slime, no leaks at all. Oh, there was one small issue, the weld broke on the muffler. I had it re-welded and it seems fine. I would recommend the fastrak to anyone interested in a tough little unit.....

QCS
Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I have an 04 52 w/Kohler 20 that was purchased in Spring 05. As close as we can figure out it EASILY has over 2000 hours. No meter-my bad- but that is a conservative estimate. Last year I sat down and counted in large measured acre+ lots we were mowing 17 acres/week just in large acreage alone. That does not include the other roughly 40-45 properties. If this doesn't seem bad enough I also must add 90% of these proerties are reposed homes. Often doing first mows with grass over 2 feet tall. It has taken it's toll on the old girl and she deserves a rest but with the highlift blades good and sharp the Dr's office we mowed last Yesterday looks awesome. For those of you who feel sorry for her she has a new helper this year-Super Z 60" 30 Kohler. I am not sure what to replace her with because the low ride of the Fastrack is a real advantage for trimming.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an 04 52" with the 20hp Honda. I have 96 hours on it, switched to synthetic after 50 hours. I'm reasonably happy with the machine so far, it usually cuts great and is built well.

Just a few issues so far:

1. It never did track straight right from the dealer, and the controls seem jerky. Trying to slow down going down a mild incline makes the machine jerk left and right. It's also nearly impossible to not spin the left rear tire when turning. Tire pressure is fine. Although I asked to have this check twice when it was back at the dealer, it never was. I got tired of asking.

(FYI - people said the instructions for adjusting this is in the manual - but it isn't as far as I can tell. 5-1 is for neutral adjustment and 5-2 is steering dampener.)

2. With the stock blades, it wasn't cutting real great in long grass, no matter how slow I went. I ended up doing doubles with the gator blades, and now the cut is fantastic.

3. Where the front of the deck attaches to the frame up top, those brackets are closed in on all sides, forming a "cup", where wet grass collects, and has already started to rust. I would recommend that Hustler do some sort of cut out there so debris can escape.

4. The idler pulleys are junk. I've gone through two already, with the third already making noise. And it's not covered under warranty unless I take the machine to the dealer. Supposedly the new ones are better, I hope so.

I may sound negative, but I am actually quite happy with the machine. As is, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. If I could fix these steering issues, it would be a 9 out of 10.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

DAR57 -

Do you have the original hydros in that 2000 hr machine?
Mowing my little 3 acre corner of the world...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bderks View Post
I have an 04 52" with the 20hp Honda. I have 96 hours on it, switched to synthetic after 50 hours. I'm reasonably happy with the machine so far, it usually cuts great and is built well.

Just a few issues so far:

1. It never did track straight right from the dealer, and the controls seem jerky. Trying to slow down going down a mild incline makes the machine jerk left and right. It's also nearly impossible to not spin the left rear tire when turning. Tire pressure is fine. Although I asked to have this check twice when it was back at the dealer, it never was. I got tired of asking.

(FYI - people said the instructions for adjusting this is in the manual - but it isn't as far as I can tell. 5-1 is for neutral adjustment and 5-2 is steering dampener.)

2. With the stock blades, it wasn't cutting real great in long grass, no matter how slow I went. I ended up doing doubles with the gator blades, and now the cut is fantastic.

3. Where the front of the deck attaches to the frame up top, those brackets are closed in on all sides, forming a "cup", where wet grass collects, and has already started to rust. I would recommend that Hustler do some sort of cut out there so debris can escape.

4. The idler pulleys are junk. I've gone through two already, with the third already making noise. And it's not covered under warranty unless I take the machine to the dealer. Supposedly the new ones are better, I hope so.

I may sound negative, but I am actually quite happy with the machine. As is, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. If I could fix these steering issues, it would be a 9 out of 10.

The steering can be adjusted.
Let me know what the part # is on the manual you have is, some manuals had the instructions, some didn't.