Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have owned two Fast Tracks. One was a 52/20 Honda. Mower for the most parts was great. I blew one drive unit and after going to dealer I was told I was 1 week out of warranty. I was told they contacted Hustler and they said I have to pay full price. ($700) I was hoping for them to furnish part and I would cover labor but no deal. Other than that mower ran great and I was cutting about 30-35 yards 4-6 hours a day 5 days a week.

Second was a steal so I could not pass it up. Same mower just had the 18hp motor on it. I have took it to dealer becasue this mower is a major pain to keep straight. If you attempt any minor inputs into levers while mowing mower will pop or jerk to that side. This tears turf and make my stripes crooked. I hate that. LOL Dealer said it was beacuse the drive unit and hydro are one unit and there is no fix. While this mower cuts as good as anything I have seen, I have grown tired of the drive system and as such will be looking to upgrade.

For an entry level mower it does just fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpet291 View Post
Hi,

I have owned two Fast Tracks. One was a 52/20 Honda. Mower for the most parts was great. I blew one drive unit and after going to dealer I was told I was 1 week out of warranty. I was told they contacted Hustler and they said I have to pay full price. ($700) I was hoping for them to furnish part and I would cover labor but no deal. Other than that mower ran great and I was cutting about 30-35 yards 4-6 hours a day 5 days a week.

Second was a steal so I could not pass it up. Same mower just had the 18hp motor on it. I have took it to dealer becasue this mower is a major pain to keep straight. If you attempt any minor inputs into levers while mowing mower will pop or jerk to that side. This tears turf and make my stripes crooked. I hate that. LOL Dealer said it was beacuse the drive unit and hydro are one unit and there is no fix. While this mower cuts as good as anything I have seen, I have grown tired of the drive system and as such will be looking to upgrade.

For an entry level mower it does just fine.
Your hydro linkage can be adjusted to stop this from happening.
E-mail me and I will have our regional manager work with your dealer to get you taken care of.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 20/52 (Honda) with about 10 hours. Just got it this spring and cut about 3/4 of an acre. Paid about $4500 if I remember correctly. Had my choice between '06 52 or '07 54. For me the 52 ended up being the better choice. I'd of had some clearance problems with the 54. Mows great and haven't had any issues to date.

Just have the standard blades right now, but I'm going to get the Gators to side discharge with. The standard blades have given a great cut, but the clippings could be a lot smaller.

Bought an Accelerator side bagger for the unit. I use it to keep the missus happy with the front yard. She doesn't like to see clippings. The bagger does and excellent job. If the grass is on the long side and moist, it will clog if you try and mow at a high rate of speed. I just slow up a bit and the bagger can then keep up with the volume of clippings coming out of the chute. This thing can mow a lot of grass and it fills up quick. For the little that I bag, it works great. Should be excellent for leaf clean up in the fall.

Love the Fastrak and the Honda motor.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2spool View Post
I have a 2006 20/52 (Honda) with about 10 hours. Just got it this spring and cut about 3/4 of an acre. Paid about $4500 if I remember correctly. Had my choice between '06 52 or '07 54. For me the 52 ended up being the better choice. I'd of had some clearance problems with the 54. Mows great and haven't had any issues to date.

Just have the standard blades right now, but I'm going to get the Gators to side discharge with. The standard blades have given a great cut, but the clippings could be a lot smaller.

Bought an Accelerator side bagger for the unit. I use it to keep the missus happy with the front yard. She doesn't like to see clippings. The bagger does and excellent job. If the grass is on the long side and moist, it will clog if you try and mow at a high rate of speed. I just slow up a bit and the bagger can then keep up with the volume of clippings coming out of the chute. This thing can mow a lot of grass and it fills up quick. For the little that I bag, it works great. Should be excellent for leaf clean up in the fall.

Love the Fastrak and the Honda motor.
Thats great to hear.
The Accelerator product is good, but with any side bagger you will get the fast fill and plugging in wet conditions.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Email sent!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpet291 View Post
Email sent!
Got it.
Awaiting your return e-mail.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Trying Gator Blades

Guys,

I've decided to try the Gators for the fall. After cutting with them twice they do mulch up the clippings smaller. My only issue seems they extend to the bottom of the deck so I have to be careful about scalping and trimming "obstacles".

Anyone else have experience with them?

http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimceez View Post
Guys,
My only issue seems they extend to the bottom of the deck so I have to be careful about scalping and trimming "obstacles".
Extend to the bottom of the deck?
Are your Gators flat or offset blades?
The correct Gators will not be lower in the deck than the stock blades.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

bderks

I have a 02 w/ 400 hrs had the same tracking problem adjusted it myself and it came back again a few weeks later I found the frame under the left side
under the seat was cracked welded it myself and problem has not returned in 3 yrs. I also started running twins, the cut is great in K-blue grass and rye.
As far as the idlers go QUESTION: are you power washing or hoseing off the deck if so BAD MOVE: use your BLOWER. I learned this from my neighbors Ex Mark he was losing the main idler, shortly after his mine started going both stopped washing and 2 yrs later score for him 1 me none and looking great.
for anybody interested this is one tough machine. also you cannot beat the factory warranty help you recieve pj: is one mouse click away anytime you need him.by now you guessed it I have been there done that and he answered every time along with every one else; from all Hustler owners a BIG
thanks goes out to pj and company. I have stated this before in other replys
and I will ask again " show me a brand that is as excessiable as Hustler for factory and dealer help when you need it most"--- you can't and no I don't work for Hustler just a satisfied owner.Remamber if your going to wash it make it once a year if possiable it just ruins the sealed brgs. on the deck
Old 09-01-2007, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant View Post
How many hours do you have on them?
We have been using these pulleys for many years, for the most part we don't have any major issues with them.

1. that is a question for the designers and engineers, they have been in used in this industry and the automotive industry for 20 plus years.
2. The bearing is replaceable, it is part # 783555, but you need to make sure it is installed right and the spindle housing is not worn where the bearings seat in.
We have used this spindle in every FasTrak, Mini FasTrak, Mini Z, Super Mini Z, Mini Z 36/42 and it is used by many mfg's in this industry, they work great.

Pj

I could be wrong PJ but I think he was referring to the bearings in the pulleys, not the spindle.
I too have had pulley bearing issues in my idlers. Even tho they are a good quality bearing I feel they are too small and their sealing ability not good enough to handle the dirt, moisture etc while mowing.
Don't get me wrong I have never had one fail (collapse). They just become loose or worn and make for excessive noise in the deck.
I have a 52 mini in which I replaced my idler bearings with the same size bearing that are in the spindles.
I can't see why Hustler can't do the same even for the sake of having one size bearing for the whole machine.
If you can replace spindle bearings why not idler bearings.
Attached Images