Register free!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

soil tests

i wanted to get some input on soil tests

i can get a basic test which includes: buffer pH, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, % base saturation, and CEC

for an extra cost i get: zinc, manganese, iron, copper, sulfur, boron, soluble salts, sodium, organic matter, and texture

i guess i want to have an idea of what a basic test should include, and what elements are really tangible to know about!

thanks
mike
Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who knows?...........I been around this business forever and we have never tested the soil. If we aerate, seed, fertilize, lime, spray weeds, pre-emerge, fertilize and the yard still looks like crap.................then we might send a soil samply off to have tested.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of getting my new website set up. I just secured www.FreeSoilTesting.com I think it is important to test soil for micro nutrients. I could go on and on how this can help you. I bought a soil testing machine that tests these for $2,100.00. I have closed several sales just by offering free soil testing. People love seeing the change. Test often!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow2nd View Post
Who knows?...........I been around this business forever and we have never tested the soil. If we aerate, seed, fertilize, lime, spray weeds, pre-emerge, fertilize and the yard still looks like crap.................then we might send a soil samply off to have tested.
We are of the confirm target then shoot mentality,not the shoot first then see if its what you were after. To me soil test confirm what my objective is, and often results in easier sales for extra work once we have proof of what is needed in hand. My goal is to do a test on all new confirmed and existing customers.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the input!

it just seems knowing exactly what a lawn needs is so much easier than a crap shoot, granted most lawns will respond to a general balanced fertilizer

i think it adds to a professional image, is better for the enviroment, customers like this, and are more willing to pay for the quality!

cheers
mike
Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you got it!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you find that soil in an area remains fairly consistent? I had a couple tests done last year and the results were nearly identical. I can vouch for the need to do soil tests and also vouch for the results you get by knowing how to use the information it provides.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its all really close in my area. The biggest difference is in the standard fertility and alkalyne
Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look people, turf needs certain things that are predictable and constant: N-P-K. All you folks who are building a better mousetrap by soil testing every lawn are just gimmick marketing. Now if there are abnormalities manifesting in the turf, then yes, a soil sample is reasonable. But a soil test on every lawn you treat is just not necessary.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscape View Post
Look people, turf needs certain things that are predictable and constant: N-P-K. All you folks who are building a better mousetrap by soil testing every lawn are just gimmick marketing. Now if there are abnormalities manifesting in the turf, then yes, a soil sample is reasonable. But a soil test on every lawn you treat is just not necessary.
Gimmick marketing? How are you going to know if the homeowner dumped lime on his lawn every year for the last ten years before giving you call? Or if too much of one micro is locking up another? Generally, most soil tests do come out the same in certain parts of my area, but the bottom line is you never know. Especially when working with organic fertilizers, it's best to correct all soil imbalances before starting a program so the customer gets the most bang for their buck. We don't require soil samples, but I do recommend them for most new lawns.

There's a lot more going on in the soil than NPK.