Register free!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Dollar weed kill

I have a lawn that has some dollar weeds. I'd like to kill them off without damaging the existing St. Augustine grass. Any suggestionis aprreciated. I saw a spray called Ortho Pro Max in a yellow container that looked good in the commercial on TV. This is for my own lawn. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Image for Nutgrass (Look at the label) from Lowes--$20, hook bottle to hose and use on about 7K of lawn; bottle says 8K but I used it a little more--cover it well Used it last year on my lawn--worked great but you won't see any results for about 2 weeks other than a little yellowing--don't worry- it recovers. You will need to do a second application in about 6 weeks. And the good thing is this year there are only a few stray one here and there. I gave them a shot from a little that I put in the hand sprayer. Ortho, and Weed-B-Gone are pure nothing--You probably could drink them and they would do much more than give you a stomach ache--don't do it though--Many people have been ripped off by them.

Good Luck
Roy
Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Atrizine works best, you can get it at Lesco and probably some good landscape/Nursery type businesses.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Samual Adams looks good in the commercial but have you ever tasted that ****? Tru-Green and 1-800-lawncare look good in there commercials but have you seen there lawns?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Atrizine will take it out quick, you can get a basic weed and feed with that in it. just make sure you only use it on your own lawn. Just having it on your truck will get you in a heap of trouble if your not lisc. for it.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i kinda like Samual Adams. but too rich for my PBR budget...lol
Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial property- Lontrel
Residential-Manor and Quicksilver
Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Kickin View Post
I have a lawn that has some dollar weeds. I'd like to kill them off without damaging the existing St. Augustine grass. Any suggestionis aprreciated. I saw a spray called Ortho Pro Max in a yellow container that looked good in the commercial on TV. This is for my own lawn. Thanks.
Grass kickin

You should be licensed to treat any turf in Fla. other than your own. Fines can run $ 5,000 if you are caught doing illegal application.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

As stated in my original post, this is for my own lawn. I own an LCO but don't handle weed killing, pesticides etc.

I do have a question pertaining to licensing though, tegarding treatments for customers, is it necesary to be licensed if you are using a product that any Joe can get at Home Depot?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Kickin View Post
As stated in my original post, this is for my own lawn. I own an LCO but don't handle weed killing, pesticides etc.

I do have a question pertaining to licensing though, tegarding treatments for customers, is it necesary to be licensed if you are using a product that any Joe can get at Home Depot?
yes, do a search on florida and permits, its pretty strict from what i have read!