Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Centipede Question

I live near Raleigh NC and have a few questions for some of the pros out there.

I currently have centipede grass which does OK with little to no maintenance, other than mowing. A few weeks ago, I had some grading work done in my backyard which increased the size of the yard and also damaged some of the existing Centipede grass. I've heard that centipede doesn't grow very well from seed and that I'd be much better off sodding it. We're talking about 3,500 square feet and about $1,900 to prep the soil and lay the sod. First question, is it really dificult to grow Centipede from seed? Also, is the price I was quoted seem reasonable?

In addition, if I'm going to put $1,900 into sod, should I also consider an irrigation system? I've heard that Centipede is very drought resistant and an irrigation system isn't necessary. I'm sure it would look a ton better than it currently does.

One final question... 6 zone Hunter system - $3,600?? Any thoughts on Hunter systems and/or the price?

Many thanks!!

Last edited by grassmoker; 05-25-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Another questions... should I consider switching to another type of grass? If so, what does everyone recommend? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

those sound like pretty good prices.. I don't know much about centipede, but irrigation never killed any grass (unless it's too much or not enough)
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Centipede is a great type of grass. What are you paying for the sod? Are they doing it in pallets or rolls?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we paid 105 a pallet for 18 pallets on the last job. Irrigation isnt always needed for centipied as it is drought tolerant but it will yellow up if too hot n dry. We got alot of clients going with once per week waterings on centi lawns.

You can get good results with seed but the centi seed is expensive and takes a fair amount of time to fill in. Sod is instant lawn and it should establish rather quickly. If its already torn up and you have the means then go for the irrigation system.

As for a diff type of lawn i think I missed the pictures and or light in the area. If you have shady areas where the cent doesnt grow well then another type of grass would be much better.

We do about half st aug and half cent lawns... my own crappy lawn is a mixture of thoes 2 and bermuda but its going to get renovated next year to all cent