Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2000, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Any stories about your insurance paying off?<br>(I am noting suggesting that you risk it without)
Old 03-03-2000, 05:56 PM
Banned

My insurance guy told me submit a claim and your out of business
Old 03-03-2000, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Insurance is just that. If a claim is submitted they pay off. It is just like buying the right piece of equipment from a good dealer. Price is not always everything. After the sale service is worth alot in this field. Shop around and check references of others in the green industry from your area.
Old 03-04-2000, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a slip-and-fall suit at a lot I plow. The ins co. had me write out the details of what I did the few hours before ( amount of sleep, weather, road conditions, what I ate and drank etc) and to take pictures and draw a diagram of the area. Also found out the area where the lady supposedly fell, even though I plow it, is actually owned by an owner other than the owner of the property I plow for. Its been three years and I still havent heard what happened. And I had dropped that insurance co previously, but they were the ones I had when the slip allegedly took place so they had to take the claim.<p>Two years ago I plowed into the back of a Nissan 200zx that cut me off-truck piled over the sideboards with mulch and a trailer full of timbers, no way that sucker was gonna stop so I all but ran over the top of the car. Called the insurance co while I was waiting for the cop to finish his paperwork, they told me to not talk to anyone and just give them a copy of the police report (it was my fault). Once again never heard about it after that, the damage to the truck was under the deductible(500) so I didnt have a claim but it appeared the Nissan was totaled.<p>My truck insurance went down 300 a year this year. Farm Family, through the farm Bureau.<p>Bill
Old 03-05-2000, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

curlawngreen-<br>I'd be telling your agent he no longer has your business. That's what ins. is for - so people can go out & make a living without always worrying about losing your shirt. We pay enuf for it, we oughta get something!<br>I had a lady pull out in front of me last summer near a red light- didn't even see me-was looking the other way. I swerved truck & trailer & almost hit people in the other lane, swerved back, but she was out too far to miss. Wiped the bumper right off of her new Blazer. She had PROGRESSIVE, & I'm still fighting to get an adequate settlement. Since my truck was an 87 & had a liitle rust, they were giving me a depreciated settlement- I said 'what're you gonna do, paint my truck with used paint?' <br>DON&quot;T go to progressive if you haven't yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reason their rates are low is they don't pay jack s*** for the other guys vehicle, & always recommend used parts to fix it with. Next time I'll swerve just enuf to avoid bodily harm but you better believe it's gonna wipe the entire length of my vehicle. I'm hoping someone will hit the other side of my truck so I can get the whole thing redone! <p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p>
Old 03-05-2000, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back to the original discussion. One hot July day last year one of my guys backe our dump truck into a brand new Honda mini van. The damage seemed slight but the whole hood probably needed to be replaced. i called my agent from the site and the information was exchanged...there was a follow up call a few days later..no problems.<br>Later that same day I did the unthinkable, I backed into a junker cadillac with my truck. When i called my agent they laughed at me. I was embarrassed enough as it was! The ins co handled the claim, the $700 car had $900 dollars worth of repairs needed so they totaled it. No the fine upstanding citezens are suing us(ins co) We were told not to worry and haven't heard any more.<br> Bottom line is finding the right Co.--and NO our rates did not go up.
Old 03-05-2000, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

thelawnguy killed a Z, awh, how sad. they are sweet cars. i have 1990 and its a 300ZX not a 200, that was a typo they dont make 200's. <br>its my weekend cruz'r after a long week of mowin lawns.
Old 03-05-2000, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yer right it was a typo but it was a 200sx the little crap box not a zx. Sorry. <p>Bill
Old 03-05-2000, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with some of the others. Find another agent. Also, make sure you are getting business Auto, and a business Gen. liability policy. If we have an accident that is not our fault, I call my agent and then usually collect the claim myself. If I need to I can use my policy to subregate (spelling) the claim, collect, then re-imburse my deductable. Events that are not your fault technically do not go in your file, but I like to make sure that they don't. We've had a dump truck back into a car, one experienced driver tapped the bumper of a car, once my dog jumped on a brand new Ford driver's door to lick the customer's dog. My insurance takes care of these items immediately and effectively with no radical premium jumps. I shop around occassionally, but stay consistent with my agent. He moved companies once, and we didn't go with him right away. That was a big mistake, now we are right back with him. Some companies treat you like a number and don't make sure that your policy meets your needs.<p>Just for kicks,slightly off the subject, this happened last week:<p>My brother and I pulled into our shop, and a tractor trailer was idling off the curb, on our lawn. He left tire tracks about 4 inches deep for 100-125'. We were pissed and called his insurance. They sent out an adjuster that day. Here is the kicker. He sent us an estimate/adjustment report for $750.00 plus tax to repair about 1500 sq. feet. His computer program told him the cost for that sort of repair would be about $.50 per square foot. This was the amount he would tell the insurance company to pay out. How about that number? <p>If you want to see another reason to have a good insurance policy, read my post in the Lighter Side thread. <p>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.lawnsite.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/chuck/bigtalker/discussion.cgi?forum=1&discussion=538&quot;&gt;Lighter Side Thread&lt;/a&gt;<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider<p><p><br>