Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

He just said he don't need a license in his area, only for pesticides.

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats correct. In my area you only need a license for pesticide not fertilizer...I was just hoping to get some info on how different guys are pricing there application with cost of material, thats all. I would appreciate any advice...Thanks again...
Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10117 View Post
New to the business and need some help. I cut a ladies lawn for $55.00, its .75 acres. She wants fertilizer down. I bought 3 bags of 24-5-11 % from lesco. That was $53.46 in fertilizer. How much would you charge to for the fertilizer and application of it? I could really use some help... She wants an estimate now...
Sounds like a good customer and since and you're going to be there already - I'd just charge her the cost plus maybe $10 per bag to spread.

Give her a quote of $85 for 3 bags, spread - you might have to return it - lol.

Like someone else said, buy the cheap stuff. It all comes from TRA anyway.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks RonB ... seems like a good way to approach it...i think i will go with that...do you use same math on seed, lime ext...(an additional $10.00/ bag, on top of the cost of product?)
Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If all it takes is opening a bag and spreading - yes.

When giving her the price I'd say, " for the fert, picking it up, and spreading will run you ..

Point out that you're picking it up since most don't even consider it. For me it's not really a money-maker, just good customer relations - and does keep the grass needing a cut.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're in business to make MONEY, charge her what you need to - to make a reasonable profit. She is willing to pay because she does not want to screw with it. Nothing to feel guilty about. Charge her a fair price for your time, mark the material up 30-40% and feel good about it.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Bullethead, I like your response. I think far too many guys are just happy to get work that they think someone else could snatch away from them that they are afraid to charge what they should. I'm a professional and in this business to make money and support my family. That is the way I look at every job. Does a doctor give me a break when I walk in the office? Hell no and he makes me wait 45 minutes to see him. I am a doctor of the outdoors and I charge what I want....you guys should too.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

bullethead, thanks for advice. I just need some clarification. For (32 K square ft or .75 acres) i need roughly 3 bags of fertilizer. That totaled $53.46, add a 40 % markup makes the total $75.00... Is this what your recomended total is to purchase and apply in this situation? or do you add in additional costs? I want to make a reasonable profit, I'm just not sure what reasonable is. I dont want charge too much and lose business, but on the other hand I dont want to cheat myself out of making a good living either...Thanks again for any responses...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man i cant stand the way people jump down your throat when you mention fertelizer. its rediculous. in my state you dont have to have licence for fet. you dont even need a licence for herbicides, unless you advertise that you spray herbicides. but if your spraying for a regular customer, you need no licence. believe me on this one because if looked into it, more than once. but every state is different so be sure and check your state regulations. people just need to ease up a bit.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10117 View Post
bullethead, thanks for advice. I just need some clarification. For (32 K square ft or .75 acres) i need roughly 3 bags of fertilizer. That totaled $53.46, add a 40 % markup makes the total $75.00... Is this what your recomended total is to purchase and apply in this situation? or do you add in additional costs? I want to make a reasonable profit, I'm just not sure what reasonable is. I dont want charge too much and lose business, but on the other hand I dont want to cheat myself out of making a good living either...Thanks again for any responses...
No, you need to add in your price for your labor as well. What is your hourly billing rate. Is it goping to take an hour of your time? Let assume it does to buy it and then spread it. Lets assume your hourly labor billing rate is $45/hr. Then bill the client 1hr of labor $45+ marked-up materials $75 = $120.