Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2000, 09:32 AM
Banned

What do you guys feel are effective advertising words in a flyer? My current flyer includes the words &quot;Honest, Reliable, Low-Priced Lawn Service&quot;. I question the &quot;Low-Priced&quot; part. Do you all recommend a different wording?<p>What do you all think are effective advertising words?<p>Thanks,<br>JB Lawn Services
Old 01-18-2000, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In my opinion I would not mention anything about price until you were standing in the yard with the customer face to face. People could interpet low price a lot of different ways. Some may think you are low-balling the competition and do less than average work and you're just trying to get #'s. One other thing, never give an estimate over the phone, if you do make it a broad range price like 50 ---75 bucks. If you say my average yard is $35.00 they will expect you to cut their 3 acre farm for that! No, leave out price, everyone knows you have to charge. Stick to the good points. Here is a statement I put on mine under the heading &quot;ABOUT US&quot; the last sentence is &quot; and the owner is always on the job site&quot;. This works right now, there may come a time when it doesn't. You are a consumer, what do you look for in an ad? Be original.
Old 01-18-2000, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to drop the fliers off at homes or in a parking lot of a big shopping mall? If you but them on the house some people say they leave a price as to how much it would cost to mow there yard. Do you guys think this is a good idea?
Old 01-18-2000, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, if you are going to leave it at the house and you have a good feel for how long it would take I would then pre-price the brochure. Keep in mind that you would be pricing it for a basic job, or price it higher if it was for the works. As for the wording on the brochure you could put a line stateing &quot;YOUR PRICE&quot;__$35.00 PER CUT OR $100.00 PER MONTH. If you received a call then, you probably are going to land it or do a little haggling.
Old 01-18-2000, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

&quot;ASK ABOUT OUR FREE MOWING SERVICES&quot;<p>That's going on my next batch of flyers/mail-outs. If that doesn't get any attention I don't know what will.<p>The idea is to get a call back and then offer to do the yard for free the first time (similar to what was posted here recently).<br>Hopefully, I won't get too many jerks who only want one free mowing.<p><p><br><p>----------<br>A and B Lawn Services<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my market you're just straightforward. Tell them the services you do and what your qualities are. <p>Forget the gimmicks, I would never use a company that has misleading sales tactics. A special offer is a great idea, a catchy gimmick doesn't wash.<p>In sales, sometimes less is more.
Old 01-18-2000, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Take out a yellow page ad. Look around at who has the business and then go to the yellow pages. If they are in there, theres your answer. I know it costs money, believe me I have to pay it every month, but.........I get a call at least every other day from somebody wanting something. A lot of times it may be for a 1 time clean-up like today but you also look more like a legitimate business when in there. If you use it , they will use it. You may only have to run it one year to have all you want!
Old 01-18-2000, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A and B you should tell them one free mowing with a year contract. Even though if someone did back out I won't take them to court but with a contract people might be more likely to keep you all year. Instead of just one time like when there on vacation or something. You might be running around mowing for free all summer.
Old 01-18-2000, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I thought of offering the first mowing free too but now I think I will change it to say fall cleanup free or some other work free instead. I don't like the idea of cutting everyone's lawn once only. If you have a flyer that says FREE THIS AND FREE THAT then when they call you have a few rules they might just hang up. I think you have to make it clear on the flyer.
Old 01-18-2000, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

A little more on &quot;free mowing services&quot;.<p>I'm not 100% sure how I will do this but I have been thinking that I will limit the free mowing offer to people who have been using another lawn company, not to people who have been mowing their own yard.<p>My idea is to get my foot in the door by having potential customers call back. If they don't call back then I won't get anything. If they do call back then at least I have a chance of getting their business.<p>One other possibility is to offer 50% off the first mowing as an incentive to try us.<p><p>----------<br>A and B Lawn Services<br>