Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BltFordTuf View Post
Also, my friends are used to me not going out or whatever because im working or dead from working.
Dead after working on 4-6 accounts? Please...
Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many flyers have you been putting out? Have you put any business cards up on any bulletin boards or anything like that.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

ALarsh-
The 4-6 are the regular weekly customers. Then i have a couple others that i do every week.. A lot of the work lately has been doing other work, mulch and stone beds, and being as tho i don't have a skid or dingo, its all shovel and wheel barrow. So its a pain. Im also spending a lot of time out repaintin the towns fire hydrants for an eagle project. Im finishing that up this week before i go down the shore.

J&R-
Ive put out flyers around the area but this late in the season im not getting a whole lot in response (just people who think its too hot, but only want to pay $10-15 a shot. Which isnt worth it. I give out business cards to the people i work for and tell them if they know someone who needs work to give them one, and i have gotten some calls lately from that.

Today i was out on an estimate and the guy wasnt home. Trim a lot of bushes and weekly cutting. I was done and leaving the estimate and the guy tells me that he called my office (dont have one...my fone # is the cell) to tell me not to do it (still havent gotten the voicemail) and had someone else doing it. The guy is doin a 1/2 acre lawn once a week for $20 and is workint $5/hour on the bushes. I told the good for you...told him my minimum is $15 an hour on that kind of stuff and told him to wait for a bill for my time that he wasted by not calling me to tell me this when we had a scheduled appointment for the estimate.

Doug
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BltFordTuf View Post
ALarsh-
I told the good for you...told him my minimum is $15 an hour on that kind of stuff and told him to wait for a bill for my time that he wasted by not calling me to tell me this when we had a scheduled appointment for the estimate.

Doug
I'm not sure what the market is like around you but I wouldn't or couldn't be working with a $15/hour minimum. After overhead alone is out of that, I'd be making next to nothing. You might need to re-evauluate your pricing. JMO
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

15 an hour is for the stuff like trimming bushes...none over 2 feet tall..nothing hard. The majority of my other work is higher. I have mainly 1/4 to 1/2 acre lawns that i cut for $40 minimum (normally higher due to hills and that stuff)

Doug
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should be around $80 / hr for 2 guys.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

ALarsh...that is basically what i do cutting. I don't have anyone going with me right now becuase i dont have enough accounts. And most of the houses take at most an hour. So the $40 for 1 man is the same as $80 for 2

Doug
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$40 for a 1/4 acre? Some people might tell me im way of but that sure seems high!! I get $25-$30 and can finish up the yard in 15-20 minutes. And $15 per hour? My minuim is $20 and thats usualy if its for family or something...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Doug, firefightergw gave you some excellent advice... you would do well to heed what he said.

Good Luck
Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hmm a young man with a goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightergw View Post
I do mowing estimates on the phone all the time. However, because of the response you are getting, I wouldn't do them at all. Instead, I would make a point to nail an appointment with every call you get. You need to turn a perceived weakness (your age) into a strength. Show up for the appointment (to give an estimate) dressed nice. Don't try to hide your age. BRING IT UP. Tell the customer that you have loved landscaping for as long as you can remember and that you are using the money that you are making, doing lawns, to send yourself to college and your major will be Horticulture. Tell them it is difficult because many of your friends want you to go do things with them but that your goal is very important to you and that you are confident that the sacrifice will pay off. Tell them your goal is to make their lawn the best looking one on the street and when you get out of college this is what you want to do for a living. I bet you will close almost all of them.

But only if this is true.
I'd hire ya
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here