Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2007, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota vs. Ferris

What would you choose???? Brand new Ferris 1500IS with 52" deck and 25HP Kawi motor. (2 year warranty) or used Kubota KD21 with 60" deck and 21HP Kubota diesel with 530 hours. I am wracked with indecision, please help!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't buy the Kubota. I had a ZD 21, nothing but trouble. It needed a new trans., mower rollers snapped off, plus the cut wasn't very good.
Also Kubota's are more complex to repair then other ZTRs in my opinion.
Did you notice Kubota is not represented on Lawnsite. Wonder why?

Personally I'd buy an Exmark, they sell 2 to 1 over the next leading brand.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have all TORO but I did have a chance this srping to try out the exact mowers you have mentioned but both were new. The diesel is nice but the ferris was an awesome fit. Great cut, better than the Kubota I thought, comfortable, better use of machine also than the Kubota. Reason I stayed with toro cuz I have a dealer right here in town and the nearest Ferris dealer was about an hour away. I do have a kubota dealer in town as well but whatever its worth - Ferris!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Rapid response

Thanks for the info. I have lots of good things about exmark, but I have no local dealer. The most common refrain I seem to here is buy something that can be serviced locally not 100 miles away. Locally I have Toro, JD, Ferris, Simplicty, and a few others. Service doesn't matter, or another suggestion?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

koop,
I have that very same Ferris unit for a year now and and so far so good.
Nice to get in bed with the dealer for two years, just in case.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kubota's in the used mower market go for about double what other mowers go for, for one reason only- people in the know KNOW they are worth it. take a look at both rigs, and it is obvious. kubota spent more time and money on their rig. at 3000 hours, my money is on the kubota still running, and worth 2-2500 at trade in. the ferris may very well be done at 1800-2300 hours. the added bonus is the real reason you buy a diesel in the first place- it uses 1/3-1/4 the fuel and can run off road diesel. I've run the calculations before, but remember the important thing- you save about 10,000-12000 bucks over about 2000 hours of use with diesel versus gas. that buys you a brand new rig.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

koop,i see that you are in madison county. I could assume that the kubota is one of the used ones sitting at haynes outdoors. Those few used kubotas there were fleet maintained i think they would make for nice macines. I have dealt with haynes before was will not do business with them again. As far as the ferris 1500, i demo'd that mower foraround two weeks. great machine, around here, i was dissapointed with the cut it left. Would the ferris your looking at be coming from charlotteville power? if so....no comment

Main question I have is, is this machine gonna be for commercial use? If so, I would honestly take about an hours drive down to mineral, va, to tractor hill. they are selling scags, and jst picked up exmark. These guys operate out of a barn, and would rather service machines, then oversell, and not be able to help out guys that buy their machines. They are also the number one scag dealer in in the state, as well as about the lowest priced scag or exmark machine you will find. Feel free to ask me any questins you may have, as have dealt with just about every dealer around here....good luck
Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
Kubota's in the used mower market go for about double what other mowers go for, for one reason only- people in the know KNOW they are worth it. take a look at both rigs, and it is obvious. kubota spent more time and money on their rig. at 3000 hours, my money is on the kubota still running, and worth 2-2500 at trade in. the ferris may very well be done at 1800-2300 hours. the added bonus is the real reason you buy a diesel in the first place- it uses 1/3-1/4 the fuel and can run off road diesel. I've run the calculations before, but remember the important thing- you save about 10,000-12000 bucks over about 2000 hours of use with diesel versus gas. that buys you a brand new rig.

David - This is an EXCELLENT response. I couldn't have said it better. I really like Ferris machines - a buddy of mine owns $20,000 worth. However, the difference between his and mine is like night & day difference.

The ZD's transmission issues that have been discussed on this websight are very rare - probably 100-1 = 1% of total ZD's sold.

Personally, I enjoy 7-guage decks, hydro deck lift and engagement, shaft-driven deck, ONE belt on the entire machine, fuel-sippin' torque, and on, and on, and on,.........
Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Palmer'sLS,

I am purchasing the mower primarily for residential use, but I would love to find a couple of close by accounts to cover the cost. One used Kubota was at Haynes, the other in the newspaper. As for Charlottesville Power, I will comment!! When I called them for a price on the Ferris they were about $600 higher than most everyone else. When I brought this to the salesman attention he proceeded to tell I should be wary of all other dealers. They must be selling you a used mower or a smaller deck size. Rather than pointing his finger at others, he should point it at his HIGH prices.

I talked to a guy mowing the Holiday Inn lawn yesterday. He was on a Scag, and felt it was the best built mower in the industry, but admitted to a rough ride. He also commented that foot control of the deck was key for rapid response, as you mow, to prevent scalping. Is this common?? He said the hydraulically controlled decks could not be raised on the fly.

David, I had not thought about the fuel consumption aspect of the mowers. Do you know what the consumption is in general? Gallons per hour I guess?

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"The ZD's transmission issues that have been discussed on this websight are very rare - probably 100-1 = 1% of total ZD's sold" jtf40

If the new Kubota Z is a good machine, I will consider buying another one. I've had other good Kubota's before my ZD. Time will tell.