Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

wait time to mow new sod?

Hey guys,

I got a new account today, but the lady just had sod laid about 2 weeks ago and its starting to grow. Its tall enough to mow but i was wondering how long i should wait to actually mow it without causing damage(i will pry mow it the first couple of times with a 21" for the weight issues". I was under the impression to mow it when its not wet, and after it starts growing. Any info on this would help. Thanks!

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4
4x8 steel trailer
48" Bunton Hydro
36" Better Quick Super duty
21" toro self pace
21" husky beater
Homelite blower
Weedeater Str8 Shaft
Trim n Edge
2 hp briggs w/b edger
Homelite Hedge Trimmer
other crap

"I'd rather have one customer 1000 times, than 1000 customers 1 time!"
Old 06-02-2007, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a sod expert, so hopefully someone who is can answer your question better.

I have mowed some freshly-sodded properties(newly constructed homes), and have usually waited 2 to 3 weeks after the sod was laid down, to be sure that it was taking root. Otherwise you run the risk of sucking the sod up with the mower. I've always used a 21"er on these as well because the ground is usually very soft from watering.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2 Weeks is fine.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. Just give it a few gentle tugs here and there, and that will tell you how well it is rooting. Hopefully, starter fert. was used. This helps tremendously. One trick is to mow high. This reduces the vacuum of the mower(s). You especially have to be careful around the corner edges.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

2 weeks is not fine. In Florida all I cut is sod since most of it is laid on sand. We cut Bahia and St. Agustine or Floratam. Generally is you can get your hand under it and feel that it has rooted, you will be fine. My rule of thumb is 6 to 8 weeks. It may look ugly because it is overgrown but consider that if you get your mower on it you can suck up a piece of sod in a split second or rip it up when you turn. The wait is worth not having a headache over replacing some of it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Kickin View Post
2 weeks is not fine. In Florida all I cut is sod since most of it is laid on sand. We cut Bahia and St. Agustine or Floratam. Generally is you can get your hand under it and feel that it has rooted, you will be fine. My rule of thumb is 6 to 8 weeks. It may look ugly because it is overgrown but consider that if you get your mower on it you can suck up a piece of sod in a split second or rip it up when you turn. The wait is worth not having a headache over replacing some of it.
It was laid in the hills in western iowa which is a more clay dirt. I will check the edges and see if its rooting. Id rather mow overgrown than replace sod...

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4
4x8 steel trailer
48" Bunton Hydro
36" Better Quick Super duty
21" toro self pace
21" husky beater
Homelite blower
Weedeater Str8 Shaft
Trim n Edge
2 hp briggs w/b edger
Homelite Hedge Trimmer
other crap

"I'd rather have one customer 1000 times, than 1000 customers 1 time!"
Old 06-02-2007, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That may be true for you dear but this guy is in Iowa ya see?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Um, yeah,...............so anyway I stand by what I said. If you want to take variables into consideration such as watering, fertilizing, type of mower you use etc. we could piddle back and forth but 2 weeks is quite premature, I don't give a rats a$$ where you are from. Use your common sense so you don't wind up opening your wallet for a replacement. There is nothing wrong with being a little prudent.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll cut it as soon as it looks "really hairy"
I'll use my Quick 36 on it the first couple of times to minimize weight and turn damage.
It usually takes about 2 weeks for it to start kicking off and growing.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Um, yeah,...............so anyway I stand by what I said. If you want to take variables into consideration such as watering, fertilizing, type of mower you use etc. we could piddle back and forth but 2 weeks is quite premature, I don't give a rats a$$ where you are from. Use your common sense so you don't wind up opening your wallet for a replacement. There is nothing wrong with being a little prudent.
I just mowed about 1000k today after 2 weeks....no problem...just walk on it to test how solid it is. So long as it was laid properly (i.e. not sticking up 3" above the rest of the lawn) you should be good.