Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thKY View Post
Yes, I can tell a difference. It has more suction and throws the grass further. It cuts down on the number of stragglers, which also allows you to mow faster without seeing the cut falling off.
First off 12thKY, Thank You! One of the best post about Bad Boy's I've read. I just got a Pup with the 30hp Kohler and a 52 inch deck. I love the Pup! The 52" deck comes with

0.250" x 2" x 18", High Lift blades

it cuts St Augustine great. But my pasture grade yard being Bahia grass and junk weeds, not great. Not bad. I feel like my junk could be cut better. I was looking at your pictures of the Bad Boy blade to the Exmark blade. The Exmark is wider. I feel I could use more lift. I found these 2 blades,

High Lift blades
• 18" Long
• 5/8" Center Hole
• 3" Wide
• .203" Thick

Bad Boy 52" Rolled Air-Lift Blade
• 18" Long
• 5/8" Center Hole
• 2 1/2" Wide
• .203" Thick

What would be your advice?

One more question. Does your 30hp Kohler always throw a puff of smoke when first starting up? I've read where some do. And some don't. It just drive me crazy!

Thanks,

ms
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The little to no build up in the deck is normal for a new mower. Heck, my 61 V+ Scag was the same way when new. It started building up in the deck after the paint wore off the underside. Your BB will get this way too in due time. Also, you compared cut of a new shinny Scag at a church near you. You can't base this off of what someone else has cut for the simple fact they could easily have the deck set up incorrect. When set up properly, the cut from a Scag is hard to beat.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
First off 12thKY, Thank You! One of the best post about Bad Boy's I've read. I just got a Pup with the 30hp Kohler and a 52 inch deck. I love the Pup! The 52" deck comes with

0.250" x 2" x 18", High Lift blades

it cuts St Augustine great. But my pasture grade yard being Bahia grass and junk weeds, not great. Not bad. I feel like my junk could be cut better. I was looking at your pictures of the Bad Boy blade to the Exmark blade. The Exmark is wider. I feel I could use more lift. I found these 2 blades,

High Lift blades
• 18" Long
• 5/8" Center Hole
• 3" Wide
• .203" Thick

Bad Boy 52" Rolled Air-Lift Blade
• 18" Long
• 5/8" Center Hole
• 2 1/2" Wide
• .203" Thick

What would be your advice?

One more question. Does your 30hp Kohler always throw a puff of smoke when first starting up? I've read where some do. And some don't. It just drive me crazy!

Thanks,

ms
This is a old thread, so a little out of date. I developed a problem with that Pup, I now have a Lightning 60". The Pup I had was a 60" also. I would say the wider blade of the two MAY be better. I buy my blades from my dealer that sells ExMark also,so I not sure on the sizes.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
The little to no build up in the deck is normal for a new mower. Heck, my 61 V+ Scag was the same way when new. It started building up in the deck after the paint wore off the underside. Your BB will get this way too in due time. Also, you compared cut of a new shinny Scag at a church near you. You can't base this off of what someone else has cut for the simple fact they could easily have the deck set up incorrect. When set up properly, the cut from a Scag is hard to beat.
My Bad Boy has some hours on it now, and still little build up. Not to say that there isn't any build up, but not near as much as the ExMark 48" TriVantage I had. I've gained a foot of deck and lost by over half the amount of build up I have under the deck.

I'm not saying the Scag is a bad mower, just saying I can get the same or better results for ALOT less money.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sounded like a bit of a smart a$$ in some of the earlier post 12thKY, sorry about that. Glad you are liking your new Bad Boy. I like the longer sails on blades also.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of issue did you have with your pup? Did you trade it in on the lightning, sell it, or did the factory do something to help you out?

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After reading this post I went down to my exmark dealer and picked up a set of the exmark hi lift blades. The part # is 103-2530 for the blades. They were a little longer but clear the deck all the way around and clear each other. I cut with them for about an hour and I think they are better than stock, more lift and better dispersion. I checked my RPM's and wide open without the blades engaged it runs 3390 with the blades engaged it drops to 3360 and about 3340 to 3320 actually mowing. What is the 32 vanguard supposed to run and how do you turn up the rpm's? Puppypaws? Retrodog? Thanks?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
Or you could get one of the decks that Envy has pictured. But they come in orange. Great deck design.
You can get that kicker piece from exmark. Drill some holes and you would have it.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER

Last edited by JABBERS; 06-30-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: wrone quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
I sounded like a bit of a smart a$$ in some of the earlier post 12thKY, sorry about that. Glad you are liking your new Bad Boy. I like the longer sails on blades also.
Spilt milk if I took offense about it you would have heard from me about it lol Don't sweat it

Last edited by 12thKY; 06-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
Got your PM...

What you need here is a "kicker baffle" or "turbo baffle" at the rear of the discharge opening.

What You'll want to do is take a good piece of metal and sort of "mimic" the grass buildup.

You'll want to start there and make a piece to fit there from the rear edge of the opening, pointing towards the spindle in the manner that the grass is built up.

Like part "A" seen here.

A piece of angle L may do the job.
This is a trial and error type thing.
May take several trys to get the angle right and get the shape of the baffle right.

In the end, the simple solution may not work and you may have to have someone in a fab shop roll and break you a custom rear arc baffle like has been done to this deck.

Sorry about previous post. You can buy that kicker (baffle) piece from exmark and its not that expensive.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER