Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
After reading this post I went down to my exmark dealer and picked up a set of the exmark hi lift blades. The part # is 103-2530 for the blades. They were a little longer but clear the deck all the way around and clear each other. I cut with them for about an hour and I think they are better than stock, more lift and better dispersion. I checked my RPM's and wide open without the blades engaged it runs 3390 with the blades engaged it drops to 3360 and about 3340 to 3320 actually mowing. What is the 32 vanguard supposed to run and how do you turn up the rpm's? Puppypaws? Retrodog? Thanks?
There is a screw on the very back that you adjust. Mine runs at 3550 or so with blades engaged. My dealor told me to run it at 3700 no load rpms. I stopped at 3650. I would do what Retrodog says or the manual........
Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thKY View Post
There is a screw on the very back that you adjust. Mine runs at 3550 or so with blades engaged. My dealor told me to run it at 3700 no load rpms. I stopped at 3650. I would do what Retrodog says or the manual........
What motor is on yours and where is the screw located? I'm assuming carb?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

It's on the right rear of the Vanguard motor between the motor and the muffler. Right to the left of the oil fill, there is a stop there with a phillips screw.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OFF to the garage...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HOLY SH*T what a difference!!! I think it picked up 1 or 2 MPH also you can really hear those high lifts sing now!!! I'll have to wait though I don't have any grass to mow right now. Retrodog will turning it up hurt the motor, what are the factory settings? Thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Lightning Rear Kicker Baffle and Turbo Baffle made

I know this thread is ancient but I had to add some data to it instead of starting a new one. All I can say is holy moly!! This thread started out with exactly what I did without ever finding someone else talking about it. The deck buildup on my 60" Lightning LQ Kawa in the early spring is pretty bad also, being that it's the same deck. Probably doesn't help that I like running the gator blades all year but after the spring it doesn't build up there unless I cut a bunch of weeds that are full of juice...and gonna order some G6's soon too since they are supposed to be better. I am very proud but a little sad that I didn't wait to get the new ArmorTek deck that the Outlaws get but I have studied them well and all other decks too. I clearly understand why the buildup happens in this rear corner because of airflow and decided to fabricate my own rear baffle and I even made a turbo baffle to try out. I've only cut about 8acrs with it so far but I can't believe that I waited almost a year to make it. And I just might have bought one from Exmark had I known that was possible...but I enjoy acting like Tim the Tool man Taylor and getting more out of what I have and just thought it would be nice to share with others. By the way, I'm cutting a mix of St. Augustine and Bermuda at 4". I like it lush and growing healthy in the heat down here in Louisiana.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGranger View Post
I know this thread is ancient but I had to add some data to it instead of starting a new one. All I can say is holy moly!! This thread started out with exactly what I did without ever finding someone else talking about it. The deck buildup on my 60" Lightning LQ Kawa in the early spring is pretty bad also, being that it's the same deck. Probably doesn't help that I like running the gator blades all year but after the spring it doesn't build up there unless I cut a bunch of weeds that are full of juice...and gonna order some G6's soon too since they are supposed to be better. I am very proud but a little sad that I didn't wait to get the new ArmorTek deck that the Outlaws get but I have studied them well and all other decks too. I clearly understand why the buildup happens in this rear corner because of airflow and decided to fabricate my own rear baffle and I even made a turbo baffle to try out. I've only cut about 8acrs with it so far but I can't believe that I waited almost a year to make it. And I just might have bought one from Exmark had I known that was possible...but I enjoy acting like Tim the Tool man Taylor and getting more out of what I have and just thought it would be nice to share with others. By the way, I'm cutting a mix of St. Augustine and Bermuda at 4". I like it lush and growing healthy in the heat down here in Louisiana.
Well I am surprised... a guy gets me to log in after all this time with his 4th post.

You did well on figuring it out and also the fab work!

Thanks for the reminder that I was pretty good at deck design and figuring out how to fix the mistakes these companies make.

One of these companies should have offered me a career in green industry equipment and handsome compensation. But none of them ever did, so now I fix IT/PC problems... lol.

Oh, and hello to all my old friends!

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thKY View Post
Here is a pic of the cut after 2" of rain.
What type grass is this? Thanks, Stan
Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
What type grass is this? Thanks, Stan
The pic didn't come thru showing the grass I was asking about. It's the grass in post #3 that I'm wondering about.
Thanks, Stan
Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
Well I am surprised... a guy gets me to log in after all this time with his 4th post.

You did well on figuring it out and also the fab work!

Thanks for the reminder that I was pretty good at deck design and figuring out how to fix the mistakes these companies make.
Yes, I normally just read all of the information everyone else has to offer and don't have a need to post but when I came across this thread I felt it would help others who may be looking at the same type of deck.

FYI: I'm an IT Analyst for my day job and have been doing the build/flip/landlord real-estate deals on the side for the past 12 years. Engineering and attention to fine details are what I've always been. I have a few friends that cut all day and I love to see a well cut lawn too!