Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2000, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

ok. maybe im stupid or somthing but when you cut a lawn and leave stripes .that is from the grass being pushed in one direction right.well lets say you cut the lawn and leave stripes how come the next week when you cut at say a 90 degree angle how come you can still see last weeks stripes .after all you are pushing the grass a diferent way right so you shouldnt see the old stripes. there has to be somthing else to it.
Old 07-17-2000, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hahahhahahahahha- What do you think there is a spray can painting the grass in diffrent colors as were mowing? There is so much wind under a deck it pushes the grass in the direction your going... its as simple as that. Striping is something i discoverd the first time i cut a lawn.... i thought the two colors back and fourth looked good so ive been doing it ever since. Its still funny to me how people in this buissness have to ask how to stripe.... isnt that just something you discover as soon as you use a lawn mower? Its just common sence too me.... When i go foward it leaves a white-ish tint in the grass, when i come back in leaves a dark green tink. Put two and two together and you relize it looka good to mow back and forth in straight lines to create the striping instead of goin in circles causing half the lawn to have the white-ish tint and the other half to have a dark green tint. Im not trying to be rude by what i just said.... not at all.... i just dont undertsand it. <br>P.S.- its very crazy but can you beleave i have 2 customers who &quot;tolerate&quot; my striping but dont really like it. alot of other love it when i mention it but never really notice someting like that..... they only care that the grass is mowed.
Old 07-17-2000, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Grass Physics 101, ask Eric for the class schedule<br>
Old 07-17-2000, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't get ulcers worring about strips.I mow in a different direction each week and I can see three weeks of strips. It just happens that way.
Old 07-17-2000, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

EVAN .read the post. i do know how to stripe.but why can you see them after you go over them in a diferent direction the next week.if it is just from pushing the grass over one way wouldnt they disapere when you go over them a dferent way
Old 07-17-2000, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to know if anyone in Florida is doing it on St.Agustine grass or bahai? I haven't seen a lawn yet in Florida that has strips in it.
Old 07-17-2000, 11:03 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I am going to order a stripe kit for my 62&quot;<br>Toro and use it on sports fields this fall.
Old 07-18-2000, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I cut both St. Augustine and Bahia. It is hard to get a distinct stripe in these grasses, at least around here. They do not &quot;lay over&quot; as well as northern grasses. Certain times of the year these grasses stripe a little better. For what it is worth, it seems Walkers stripe a little more sometimes. Just don't expect them to look like Eric's.
Old 07-18-2000, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Evan, if your mower is pushing grass &quot;because of the wind&quot; maybe you should get it checked out. Both of my mowers have so much suction they will pull objects like paper, leaves and even a tarp one time from inches away from the deck right into it. Striping is usually caused by the back of the mower deck laying the grass down as it moves over it. Some manufactures make stiping kits that assist the striping process.
Old 07-18-2000, 01:49 PM
Millenium Member

Yep....I'm with Richard and the others here, that's why some blades are called &quot;high lift&quot; blades, they lift the blades with a little more force than regular blades. If the blades forced air down I would find it impossible to mow grass because the air would be pushing the grass away from the blades.<p>As far a your question, I have no idea, often wondered the same.<p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn