Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2000, 03:03 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Yes, they look for safety violations<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

That could be true Paul. I believe the way the story went the kid was down in the machine cleaning it out when another operator came by and turned the machine on. I'm sure there was some safety rule in place requiring operators to indicate they were in their or to disconnect power or something like that.
Old 03-01-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info so far-<br>do you need MSDS for gas? Also with the shredder accident, just like in the factory- if someone is going to work on equip & they have to get near or in moving parts, they are required to lock out & tag out the machine. The employer is req. to have all emp.'s trained in operator safety & how to lock out/tag out. They are supposed to furnish the locks & tags too for the emp.'s.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny this post came up because I just got a letter in the mail from the Poster Compliance Center, Telling me I MUST PURCHACE about a dozen regulation posters. They have a 3 poster set 1 federal and 2 state, 18&quot; x 24&quot; with mini posters on them that I can buy for $36, Posters included are the Federal Min. Wage notice, Ocupational saft. family medical leave act, etc. <br> I was just going to throw the letter away, but it sounds like I will have a couple of nice posters hanging in the trailer.<br> These are for Michigan and Federal, the number is 1-800-322-3636, maybe they can direct you to other states as well.<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 09:23 PM
Lawnsite Addict

About the poster just call up your local labor board (should be in the phone book0 they have them for awhole lot less( like free)<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, you need a MSDS for gas. also for grease and motor oil. By law you need a MSDS for everything that you purchase and an employee may come in contac with. By law, the company that you purchase it from, must supply you with the MSDS but only with one copy. Most legimate suppliers like Exxon and Lesco will supply them with smiles on their faces. Places like Pep Boys and Sears give you a harder time because they claim that their packaging is for the retail trade and therefore they don't have to comply with the OSHA regulations. The problem is, they don't have to comply but you do.
Old 03-02-2000, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this will sound ridiculous, but my wife works for a fortune 500 tissue and diaper manufacturer, and in their labs and everywhere else they need MSDS sheets for everything - INCLUDING SOAP! <p>Does God provide MSDS sheets on water? If so, do you get them at church, or at the body of water ?
Old 03-03-2000, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Member

NO God doesn't provide MSDS on water but are available from your water company. Our water company adds flouride and a touch of chlorine, not the same product as GODS. Also prolonged submersion leads to drowning
Old 03-03-2000, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When you put together your MSDS catalogue, don't forget to get one for BRICKS. Really, OSHA decided years ago that since bricks can give off fumes (dust) when cut or broken, that they must have a MSDS.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-03-2000, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want some good information, look up ALCA. The association has a ton of stuff for this sort of thing. When I joined, they sent books and real nice manuals on everting you need to do.