Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2001, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nitro effects

I'm trying to figure out the different effects Nitrogen has on turf. I'm trying to figure why are there so many different products, and what effects these products produce?

I applied 32-5-7 last week and noticed a good green-up, but had to bag the entire yard. If I had used a product that was lower in N2 would would be the resualts?

I have herd that so should take a soil sample prior to ferting. If this is the case does every lawn have a differnt program based from the resualts of that soil sample?
Old 08-21-2001, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

George,

You might want to do a search on this topic as I know the questions been asked and answered before.

The effects of N on lawns is the same in most bags of grass out there in that it is going to feed the turf and cause the grass to grow. The various types of N and how that N is delivered is the important component of the fertilizer.

The numbers on the bags the NPK are nothing more then ratios of the materials inside. A 50 lb bag of 10-10-10 is exactly the same as 20-20-20 or 16-4-5 is exactly the same as 32-8-10. The desired amount of N you wish to apply per 1000 sq ft is the determining factor. If your goal is 1 lb of N per 1000, then the 10-10-10 will cover 5K and the 20-20-20 will cover 10 k meaning you only need one bag of stuff instead of two.

So to answer your question, you need to look at the label on the bag to find out how much of that fert was a slow release material. Its possible that you could put down a 20-5-10 and have had twice as much available nitrogen released as none of it may have been slow release while the other was 25% slow release.

As far as soil testing, you will find that your lawns will break down into different categories of deficiencies. Some will show excessive levels of P or K (there is no test for N as it leaches too quickly) or some with deficiencies with P or K. You can customize those customers to use different ferts that cut across most lawns to find a balance.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you put down 32-5-7 you wanted quick green growth right?Nitrogen usually works quickly and it is all top growth.The #5 (phosphorus) is for root development, since it is low number there wont be much root growth.Hope this helps!