Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2000, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A friend in the biz told me last yr. that OSHA was out checking various lawn care co's. in our area & seeing if they were up to code. Told me one guy got fined $7000 for improper gas cans/containers, guards missing on mowers (no duh), & other stuff. Anyone have info on what exactly they look for, or where to find out what exactly you have to do to be up to code? That's the last thing someone needs is to have OSHA force them into bankruptcy because of their overkill way of suffocating the little guy. <br>He said the 'approved gas cans' cost about $75 each! Gimme a break! I know alot of under the table guys are out there with some horrendous type of setups & stuff, but alot of us are trying to do things right & can still get nailed for just about anything they want to look for, esp. if they're having a bad day.<br>Any suggestions/info?<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 08:28 AM
Lawnsite Addict

It can happen,the right gas cans are just the start, how about safety glasses, shoes,hearing protection, fuel spill clean-up. Then there is no MSD sheets on the job, no safety plan.......<br>The fines can get quite high<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have an example MSD or job safety manual? Also where do you get a list from OHSA that stats everything that you need? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2000, 10:00 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Go to WWW.cch.com<br>This site has many books and much information. They can also help you start a saftey program, some services are expensive(but cheap compared to a OSHA fine).<br>Also look to see if the local construction industry trade group has OHSA saftey classes they have a 10 hr course, 40 hour course and one on excavations. <p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An MSDS is short for material safety data sheet. All hazardous substances have one which lists the formulation, first aid and precautions as well as contact information. These sheets are product specific and would be found with herbicides, pesticides etc.... In most cases, the bottle may come with a &quot;mini&quot; MSDS, but a full official copy can be obtained from the manucfaturer of the product. Not a bad idea to keep them in a binder in your truck.
Old 03-01-2000, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

$7000.00!!!!!!<p>Give me a break. In my home town a young guy was chewed up to his waist in a pallet shredder working for a major container company and they only fined them $10,000.<br>They fine a little ole lawncare company $7,000.00? Talk about injustice.
Old 03-01-2000, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like the IRS, its a persons financial inability to defend themselves which determines the fine(unofficially of course). OSHA levies huge fines on those with limited resources to hire an attorney to help defend themselves, and the IRS audits the same people (little guys like all of us here).<p>Bill
Old 03-01-2000, 10:59 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Quote from the OSHA book 29 CRF PART 1926 amended Feburary 1, 1999 page 1926.151 &quot;Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handleing of flameable and combustibule liquids. Approved metal saftey cans shall be used for the handleing and use of flammable liquids in quantities greater than one gallon, except that this shall not apply to those flammable liquid materials that are highly viscid (extremely hard to pour) which may be used and handled in origianl shipping containers. For quantities of one gallon or less, only the original container or approved metal saftey cans shall be used for storage, use, and handeling of flammable liquids&quot;<p>----------<br>paul<p>sorry if i miss spelled anything but the print in my book is about 4point.<p>
Old 03-01-2000, 11:06 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Lee they might not have fine him for the accident, But for other safety problems, Operator error or the operator might have had the training but was careless or foolish they know the company can't stop all accidents. I think they had enough saftey rules in place to cover their *ss. <p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what if i am the only one working, i have no employees do i still need to worry about osha<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida