Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Illegal Applicator - Turn in

I know there is a thread going on about illegal applicators, but it's going on 9 pages now..

Today, I decided to inquire about turning in my friend, who applies illegally, for years now. I tell him all the time to stop, and get licensed...he just shoves me off thinking he's better than the law. I think he needs a "threat" from the state.
Mind you, he only does pre-emergent in the spring, and backpacks with weed killer that you buy at Home Depot. Regardless, it's against the law.

I called the state today, told her (very nice lady) the story. She immediately asked: "Why don't you sub for him?" I got the impression that she doesn't care?

I replied that I refuse to sub for him, his paperwork would be a joke, and it'll just be a big PITA.

To keep me anonymous on this complaint, our story would be that a neighbor saw him treating a lawn and didn't post, in which the neighbor called the state and questioned this applicator.
She thought it was a good plan, she then asked:

"Are his trucks marked?"
me - "no"

"Does he do commercial properties?"
me - "no"

Apparently she wants proof that it was HIM, treating a property caught in the act, and most likely a residential customer would have loyalty to him and stick up for him and say he's not doing any pesticide work.

She doesn't want to waste one of her inspector's time to send him out on an artificial complaint hoping that residential customer would be truthful and comply with the inspector.

Our state has three (3).. yes 3...inspectors.

She asked "where does he get his product?"

I replied "mostly at lesco in the town of XXX"

She replied that she can get the records from lesco that has his history, so that's a plus.

I have to get an address of a lawn I know he treats, and give it to her, so she can write up this artificial complaint and send an inspector out.

To sum it up:
1. It's difficult to turn someone in.
2. The state only follows up on complaints. If they dont think it's a waste of their time.
3. Anyone can apply pesticides illegally and not be worried (in my state). Sad but true.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

omg ur pussy....and dont say his your friend
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroher View Post
Today, I decided to inquire about turning in my friend
Some friend you are. Infact, I think you just won the ******* Of The Year Award. Congradualtions

How hard would it be to tell your "friend" that he NEEDS to stop, and you will do it for him? Why does he not just refer his customers to you (I ASSUME you are licensed?). Thats what I do if someone asks for any pesticeds, straight fertilizer even, just refer them to a good friend of mine that I know will do a good job for them.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I guess you shouldnt fertilize if you not liscensed but tht was pretty shady of you. If he was someone you didnt know it would be a different story but since hes you friend. Just my 2 cents.
Ferris is1500 48/21
Stihl 110 edger
Stihl 110 trimmer
Stihl 85 trimmer
Stihl Hs 45 hedge trimmer
Husqvarna 145bt blower
Arctic cat 650 4x4
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jose85: stfu

KS_Grasscutter: I've told him to stop countless times. I've also told him to quit and let me take over on the treating of the lawns he maintains. He won't.

I don't see what the big deal is to ask the state to send him a letter saying "to stop"... "we're on to you".

If your friend murdered someone. Would a friend not tell report it?

I don't want my friend to pay huge fines, or go to prison. I want him to stop, and maybe hearing it from the state will help.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know more than a handful of scrapers that have their paper work in good order.

Do the sub work for him. Everybody wins.

I cant believe that CT wont respond to a complaint. In NY all you have to do is give the address you saw them on and a license plate number. They will do the rest and pretty quickly too.

The home improvement license -- which is county by county -- they usually respond to the site within 20 minutes, depending on where in the county they were at the time of the call.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post

Do the sub work for him. Everybody wins.
I've even tried that attempt. He wants all the money for himself.

They WILL respond to a complaint. But, it has to be a really valid cut 'n dry complaint, and won't waste the inspectors time chasing an unmarked truck that treated an un-posted lawn, and the homeowner MIGHT deny what has been going on.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroher View Post
I've even tried that attempt. He wants all the money for himself.

They WILL respond to a complaint. But, it has to be a really valid cut 'n dry complaint, and won't waste the inspectors time chasing an unmarked truck that treated an un-posted lawn, and the homeowner MIGHT deny what has been going on.
Who did you talk to? When I turn someone in, they are right on it and send a letter out ASAP to them. Maybe you are not talking to right people. I never had to make up story like you had to. Just give company name, license plate, location, and date/time, Done.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1325 View Post
Who did you talk to? When I turn someone in, they are right on it and send a letter out ASAP to them. Maybe you are not talking to right people. I never had to make up story like you had to. Just give company name, license plate, location, and date/time, Done.
I didn't see him do it. Therefore I don't have a date/time/location. But I know he does it.

Maybe that's why she's hesitant? Because it's not a valid complaint?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should try calling the nj dep, at least you spoke to someone in ct, here the only thing you will get is a machine. I tried calling before and got the same thing, they really could careless. The only thing the state cares about is the fee for the license every year.