Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

herbicide blanket spraying with backpack

I am a licensed applicator in nys.. i currently try to do most of my apps with granular products..but sometimes use the backpack with a boom..I know i need a sprayer but volume doesnt warrant it..anyway i am currently spraying@ 1.5 gallons per k..can i decrease my pressure and increase my herbicides in the tank using less mix...i am sick of refilling.. what are the volumes being sprayed per k with a perma green??? please help
Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would recommend using the Synergy (which is adding a liquid tank to your spreader and making it all in one pass). You can get this at your Lesco dealer. You will get your $400 back quick by being more effecient making one pass and not filling so much. Thats my 2 cents. Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the input ..ive seen the synergy..that tank is also small..i want to know how to cover the most area effectively with my back pack refilling a s little as possible
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpropmaint View Post
thanks for the input ..ive seen the synergy..that tank is also small..i want to know how to cover the most area effectively with my back pack refilling a s little as possible
I think the nature of the beast...is for small areas, or spot treatment. When I started out I used backpacks too. I'd use my customer's water and mix in their driveway. Unprofessional...but I had no choice. I then got myself a used 100gal skid tank.

If you just want to use backpacks, consider buying like 4 of them, and fill them up before you leave to a job. I dont' know how many sqft you're doing and what your lawns are like. This time of year, most lawns are pretty clean, and a backpack would be ideal since it's really just spot treating. A new customer with 20K sqft of wall to wall dandelions, you'd have some trouble, and it'd take too long.

Hope my two cents helped.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

backpack

You are correct. Use less pressure, thereby applying less water. Omit the boom--just wave your hand left and right--to cover about 6 feet wide. Find the gallons per thousand--try to get it down to half gallon per thousand square feet. Practice with water on cement. Mix weed control for the square feet you are covering. Save your back--no need to carry all that water.

1000 sq ft. Try to apply a half gallon on a swath 6 feet wide by 166 feet long. Full gallon would be 6 feet by 322 feet(2000 sqft).
Old 06-13-2007, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Use the smallest air induction nozzles possible. I cover 7000 sqft with one gallon.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpropmaint View Post
bbp

IMHO the big Skid Sprayers are more of a ego trip than functional in a granular program. Nothing wrong with a granular program in fact it is better. However liquid weed control is a necessity. For about the same price as a good Back Pack you can buy a 15 or 25 gallon 12V spot sprayer and eliminate the PITA of a back pack on larger areas. Many have mounted them on mowers and even made or bought boom sprayers, I have. I am not sure what key word you would use to find many pictures of set ups like that right here on Lawnsite. But there are many pictures of such set ups.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as far as mixing goes for backpacks, if you don't have a nurse tank for filling, buy a couple of 3 gallon plastic jugs, fill those up with water, and mix at your truck, mixing in a driveway does not look good, and there is the risk of spilling something!

i usually try to use 1 gallon per K when using herbicides, any more and it takes to much time, any less and you risk coverage issues, trying to use smaller nozzle tips and get more out of each gallon usually leads to more drift than anything, IMHO

cheers
Old 06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno....
I worked for a spray company that used 200 gal tanks,
and
when we got low we filled up at the next customers house while eating lunch.

We had 8 trucks.

I only had one complaint, but the rest were happy that it wasn't
a larger company.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

unit - I hear ya.....most folks feel good when they help others. It's kinda like the old days when neighbors knew each other. I hope these good old times will return -- it's about time, cuz life is short. God bless, americanlawn